Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Stalls at low rpm under load

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  amsd 
#1 ·
Hey guys I’ve got a 1995 zj 5.2. The issue is it stalls randomly at low rpm under load like at a stop light. I’ve literally replaced everything electrical and am now stumped please help, it’s like chasing phantoms!

#5 ·
I had an almost identical situation with my 95 zj with the 5.2. The PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover was the culprit. It would fail every 15k miles or so. I actually just started including it in my oil change process since I was doing them every 7500-10k miles and it was only a few bucks and super easy to replace. I even kept a spare one in my parts box when I went out wheelin’ just in case. Not sure if it is what is causing your issue but it is a cheap thing to replace just in case.

#7 ·
I had the same issue twice on my 95 5.2.
Both times it was the same solution.
It was the cover under the intake manifold which is a stamped piece of steel and the manifold is cast aluminum.
The two metals heat at different rates causing the gasket to slip, making an internal intake manifold leak.
If you are burning near a quart of oil per 1000 and you open the butterfly valves and see what looks like tar on the bottom of the intake manifold you likely have this common problem.

The first time I took it off and put on a new seal. Worked great for 20,000 miles or so.
After it happened again, I bought the 1/4 inch think milled plate that a guy sells on eBay. It doesn’t flex and completely solves the problem permanently.

#8 ·
With your engine off

Remove your air inlet on top of the throttle body
Rotate the butterfly valves and check the inside
if its very dirty and greasy you may have a Plenum gasket leak.

Since that leak as an evolution between cold and hot engine
due to the temperature. going up, its a tricky diagnostic.

I am working on my 5.9 to make a 6.7L stroker and the original steel plate
will be replaced by an aluminum plate with a thickness of 1/4”

The Plenum plate as been made with a water jet by one off my supplier
You can buy one from Hughes engines the kit include the gasket as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.