My 2001 60th Anniversary Edition Resto - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Rigs, Trips, and Events > Your Jeep Grand Cherokee
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Oldbeginner#63
Grand Rookie

Default My 2001 60th Anniversary Edition Resto

I recently bought a GC that was dead in the driveway. It had a window broken out, a flat tire, a crack in the top of the radiator at the inlet hose connection, a broken glove box latch, and a hole in the power steering pressure hose.
I went to the local You Pull It and found a window that had already been removed. I pulled the latch assembly out of the glove box, and pulled the ac/heater control. I don't need the control (yet) but if you have to buy one online they run $450+. I picked up a power steering hose and a JB Weld radiator epoxy repair kit at NAPA.
Yesterday my 23 year old daughter and I did all the repairs, got the rig running, poured some Lucas engine treatment in the gas tank, went to Discount Tire to get the flat replaced. I then finally got it home after a week of ownership.
Today I started going through it to see what other resto's need to be done.
Both headlight assemblies are cloudy, and having polished some in the past, I decided to purchase new ones. The right side passenger window doesn't move so I ordered a new motor/regulator assembly. The rear window wiper motor doesn't move anymore because the wiper arm had lost it's clip and the blade was wedged up under the hatch window. I will look for replacements at the You Pull It this next week.
When the front side window was busted out the previous owner decided to duct tape a piece of cardboard over the opening. You can't believe how hard it is to remove years old adhesive from paint, window rubber, and door panel. It will take at least 2 hours to get it all off.
The door that had the window broken out has no water shield underneath the door panel, and the rear hatch doesn't either. I'll probably end up siliconing in some plastic.
The roof rack and windshield wipers are really faded so I'll pull them and paint them. Rustoleum makes a paint/primer spray paint that's a metallic look, which works great, and is a hard coat. I've used it on my Blazer rack and wiper arms.
I'm going to replace all interior bulbs with LED's. They've been ordered and are on their way.
The hood has 3 or 4 very small rust spots which I've put some rust neutralizer on for now. Later on I'll get it repainted.
The original rims were replaced with black ones, which I don't care for, so I'll be having new rims and tires installed. The tires are 10 years old.
Last on the list will be getting the leather seats redone as they're looking pretty old. There's no cracking but it's just a matter of time.

Last edited by Oldbeginner#63; 08-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Oldbeginner#63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Oldbeginner#63
Grand Rookie

Went to You Pull It again today and picked up a rear passenger window regulator and the rear wiper arm. Installed the regulator when I got home. Works like a champ. Later this evening I stopped by the store and picked up some spray paint. I'll pull my wiper arms and primer and paint them to look a little better. Later on I'll do the roof rack the same color. Took the rig out on the highway to see if the cruise control works and see how it does at 70+ mph. I was also interested in the mpg. It ran fantastic and the mpg was better than expected. I'm falling in love with this GC really fast. Also used tire shine to make the rims and tires look good.

Last edited by Oldbeginner#63; 08-19-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Oldbeginner#63
Grand Rookie

Went to You Pull It after work (again) and picked up a rear hatch wiper motor. My 23 year old daughter was with me and while I was pulling it she checked out the other 4 GC's. She yells "DAD COME HERE". She found a cargo area retracting cover. We bought both for under $40. When we got home we put both in and they work great. All the necessary repairs have now been finished. Up next is new headlight assemblies, hood supports, rear hatch and window supports, exterior LED's, and the painting of the front wiper arms and roof rack.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
WNDSRFROSS
Grand Rookie

Wow... Your on a roll, keep it up & post some pics. Welcome to the GC world!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #5
The Jeep
Grand Rookie

Those WJ's remain one of the best looking SUV's on the road and its offroad capability with QDII is legendary. I still miss my two 4.7's, which I had before my current WK and WKII.
The Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #6
Oldbeginner#63
Grand Rookie

Installed the newly painted rear wiper arm. Installed new LED bulbs in the tail light assembly. Only installed the tail/brake bulbs. The reverse and turn signal LEDs are on their way. I tried one of the tail/brake bulbs in the turn signal socket but it hyper flashed, so when I get the new bulbs I'll install some resistors. I have some left over from my Blazer resto.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
Denny4kids
Grand Rookie

Great story! My kids also like to visit Jalopy Jungle with me and find parts. The only thing that bugs me is your radiator repair. It will fail on you at the worst time. A new one only costs $100 at the parts store.
I always look at all the GC's and pick the best looking part. I found a brand new blower motor for $6.
Let us know how the project is going! Den
Denny4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
Oldbeginner#63
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
Great story! My kids also like to visit Jalopy Jungle with me and find parts. The only thing that bugs me is your radiator repair. It will fail on you at the worst time. A new one only costs $100 at the parts store.
I always look at all the GC's and pick the best looking part. I found a brand new blower motor for $6.
Let us know how the project is going! Den
The radiator would concern me but for two reasons. 1- I don't put a lot of miles on my rigs (maybe 2-3k a year), and I don't go out of the area with it (I have a 34 mpg 2013 Dodge Dart for that); and 2- The JB Weld radiator epoxy repair kit is the strongest stuff I've ever seen. After I get all the planned projects done I might replace it. Thanks for the concern though.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #9
Oldbeginner#63
Grand Rookie

Received the new headlight assemblies from Rockauto today. Also went by Discount Tire and ordered new wheels and tires. Should be installed in about a week.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
Oldbeginner#63
Grand Rookie

Received quite a few items in the mail today. Installed new LED's in the interior, license plate fixture, and engine bay. Pulled the front windshield wiper arms and repainted. They were impossible to pull with the tools I have so I hit O'Reillys and picked up a puller used on tie rod ends (worked great). Installed new headlight assemblies including new bulbs. Installed new hood support arms. I've been using a stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement