Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Aftermarket bumpers from MynameisJerry

56K views 86 replies 49 participants last post by  texlurch 
#1 ·
I think it's about time a big list of after market bumpers was compiled.

Here's what I know of...
Fronts
ARB Bull Bar - www.arb.com.au
Kevin's - www.kevinsjeepparts.com
Protofab - www.protofab4x4.com
Carolina Rock Shop - www.carolinarockshop.com
Trail Ready - www.trailready.com
Hanson - www.hansonoffroad.com
Kennesaw Mountian - www.kenmtn.com
Off The Back - www.offtheback.net
Dream Works - dreamworks-customs.net/
Custom 4x4 Fabrications - www.custom4x4fabrication.com/
Tomken - www.tomken.com
Rock Ware - www.rockware.net
Armorology - www.armorology.com
Cassidy Customs - http://cassidyscustom.com/
Off-Road Fabrication - http://www.offroad-fabrication.com/home/home.htm

Rears
Kevin's - www.kevinsjeepparts.com
Protofab - www.protofab4x4.com
Trail Ready - www.trailready.com
Kennesaw Mountian - www.kenmtn.com
Off The Back - www.offtheback.net
Tomken - www.tomken.com
Rock Ware - www.rockware.net
Armorology - www.armorology.com
Off-Road Fabrication - http://www.offroad-fabrication.com/home/home.htm

I'll add more if I remember them. I can't say that all of these are still available, or are even good products to begin with, but hey, at least you can see whats out there.[/b]

See less See more
#28 ·
that thing is ugly jerry

#30 ·
i hear that

#35 ·
Actually they used to have a pretty crappy reputation but it is getting better now. They used to have big problems with their bumpers not fitting right. But from what I hear they're fixing all that.

#39 ·
Grand_Masta said:
A little off subject but does anyone run the flares from icelandoffroad.com? If you do you like them and can you really clear the tires sizes with the lifts they say you can? I was going to purchase a set but I would like a second opinion first. They look good I just wasnt sure how well they function or how strong they are. [smilie=bal_thanx.gif]
Ive got em and yeah, they will take a pounding and not break. I smacked a tree with my passenger rear last weekend, thought for sure I broke it. Got out and it just rubbed the paint off. Nothing like smashing 4000+ pounds of jeep into a tree and just getting messed up paint. Plus, they bolt on and you can just unbolt and repaint as needed. They are way whoop azzzzzz. I have had bushwacker flares before and they sucked, broke, brittle bastards. These things are super hard fiberglass, dont give much and hold up very good so far. If you want pics, send me your email address and I will send you some. My add is hellride1975@ gmail.com. Oh yeah, to answer the other question, yes they do work as described. I have 7" lift and 35's and before the iceland flares, was hitting fenders all the time with sway bars hooked up. Now with flares and unhooked front and rear, I can flex it out to hell wouldnt have it and never hit anything, they tuck great. A word to the wise though, these flares are alot of work. I started to put them on, knew I was in over my head, and got my body guy to do it. The fronts are easy money, but the rears are horrible to do. When you take into affect the pinch seams and the proximity to the rear wheel tubs, it was just better for me to let a pro do it. If you mess up, you are screwed majorly.

#40 ·
piku303 said:
Grand_Masta said:
A little off subject but does anyone run the flares from icelandoffroad.com? If you do you like them and can you really clear the tires sizes with the lifts they say you can? I was going to purchase a set but I would like a second opinion first. They look good I just wasnt sure how well they function or how strong they are. [smilie=bal_thanx.gif]
why would you want to pay that much for fiberglass flares to clear larger tires when you could lift it higher, giving you more height and axle articulation? lifting it another inch or tow or getting those flares is not that much difference in price. not to mention i dont even think theyre painted, another cost. those things will get crunched in a second on a trail too.

No, they actually will not get crunched. Good products, gotta have em first before you rush to condem them. They are worth every penny.

#42 ·
why would you want to pay that much for fiberglass flares to clear larger tires when you could lift it higher, giving you more height and axle articulation? lifting it another inch or tow or getting those flares is not that much difference in price. not to mention i dont even think theyre painted, another cost. those things will get crunched in a second on a trail too.

He said he was already at 7" of lift. The price is about the same as bushwaker for yj/tj etc. They are the only ones that are MADE for a ZJ and therefore the only ones that look halfways nice. Lift a rig just so you can brag about how high it is,is just plain dumb,also the higher you go the more tipping you become. the only point of a lift is to clear larger tires to raise your axles up for more ground clearance. Alift alone does not get you more Ground clearance. Smaller lift+ bigger tires= less tippy etc.

#43 ·
the name of the game is biggest tires and lowest center of gravity.

#44 ·
Just want to chime in on the Kennesaw bumpers, installed a front bumper for a friend - what a joke. While it is pretty stout once it's installed you can't remove it without cutting it off!!! WELDING IS REQUIRED!!! Never mentioned any welding on the website and over the course of about a dozen conversations with them it was never brought up. The grille also had to be extensively cut to clear the bumper. The icing on the cake, the bumper was not fabbed correctly - the pass side stuck out about 1" further than the driver side and due to the bracket design it is not able to be adjusted side to side. When contacted about the fit issue Kennesaw said "Hey these things are built by hand" and made absolutely NO effort to try and make things right. I was told that there is nothing they are willing to do and tough cookies, better luck next time. I understand mfg variances but that kind of customer service is inexcusable. The price is good but you could buy your own steel for that price and build a bumper that actually fits. Well that's my 2 pennies.

#81 ·
That's my ZJ:cool:. I forgot he put it on the site, LOL. Still lovin' the bumper though.:D

#46 ·
KOR! Great quality & Solid! Superior customer service! .....powder coating not included...

#47 ·
I just puchased the Iceland offroads flairs and bumper .Have not installed them yet.They are top quality. Don't be scared of the fiberglass.

#49 ·
From the web it sounds like some pretty thick fiberglass, and if not a layer of coremat on the back could help stiffen 'em up. Definitely don't think they would hold up to crawling but for lighter applications where streetability and appearance are kept in mind they seem perfect. Personally at 13-15 mpg I'm not looking to add weight where I don't need it. Plus any damage can easily be repaired with more fiber and filler. I think that if Composites are good enough for the aviation industry I can take my chances with a bumper. I would be more worried about the flimsy brackets.

#50 ·
I just bought the wide track kennesaw mountain front bumper its pretty badass and more inforced than my old ARB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.