Just got a 5.9, increasing tow capacity? - Page 2 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
geberhard
Grand Rookie

Thanks guys.

I currently have a dually F350 what is a greta tow rig, but not a practical daily driver. DO not get me wrong I love the truck, but was hoping to go for something smaller that I can enjoy and tow once in a while.

Pic of the huge white whale (old Cruiser buggy behind it)

We had kids so I was also hoping to get a Grand that could be wheeled more moderately with the family, and keep the TJ as the buck wild rig.

I hear ya, the unibody and coils will hate life on pulling duty, but I am thinking if it can be accomplished decently and safely may not be a bad way to go? Good point on the rear 44, I have bent a few ZJ 44's in the past, so hopefully could wiethr go for a better 44 or 8.8? The current 44 already is a replacement...

The plans on the Grand are to stay in the 33-34" range tires, and make it more of an expedition\family wheeling rig. The Tj has smaller 42"tires now and not as wide (swapped in H1 rims. I have lowered about 7 inches. I was daily driving in CA, but the popo here does not love me anymore I agree teh 44's were way too big and wide.

So against the grain, but if I were to give the tow ability a shot, what are the upgrades needed?

-deal with engine and tranny cooling? Ideas? clutch fan? What clutch fan can be used? What to do for tranny cooling?
-brakes, I believe the brake setup is the same as in the 5.2's if not mistaken. Should they be further upgraded? or at least slotted rotors, etc?
-suspension - air bags for the rear? The shocks are adjustable 9000, so they can be tuned to some degree to help towing
-add a brake controller
-body - any recommendations to stiffen the body?

Thanks!

Gui

Last edited by geberhard; 10-05-2010 at 10:04 AM.
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
MOJeepr
Grand Junkie

Brake controller without a question! I put an external tranny cooler on mine, I don't know if it helped or not, but got one from the junk yard and put it in when we were replacing the radiator.
MOJeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
AGRANDADDICTION
Grand Junkie

I tow about 6500lbs. of boat a few times a year. The Jeep actually handles well, with 2" BB, and cheap hydro shocks. I don't drive over 65MPH. The 5-9er will tow the boat 80 MPH, but that's asking for trouble.

My problem is running in the hills of east TN, where the grade will have me overheating if I have the A/C on. With the A/C off, no overheating, but run temps around 230.

I also had a SW F-350 Crew 4x4 diesel, but too long (25 feet), and too dam loud with the 7.3L PS. Poor DD, so I had a car to DD. Missed my Jeep.

I already replaced my electric fan with a new one from a ford taurus (new), and have 4:10 gears instead of the 3:73 stock. I also had the 44 a completely rebuilt when I changed to the 4:10's. I have an SYE and TW shafts too.

From all that I've read, this is what I'll be towing with next year...
-Vanco Brake Kit; http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/images/P/t_1566.jpg

with stainless steel brake lines.

-All aluminum single row radiator

-external tranny cooler with temp gauge

-305x75x16 BFG AT KO load range "E", I have 245x75x16 "E" loaders now. They are awesome tires.

-Load leveling hitch for hydrolic surge brakes (on my boat trailer, and they work great).

-Kevin's rear bumper with more tie in to the uni-body.

-Custom Firestone airbag set-up

-bilstein shocks

-and a rebuilt dana HP 30 with lockout hubs if they will work with the Vanco kit. Prob will change gears again to 4:56 or 4:88's with the 33's.

Also will have a 2-lo kit installed in my 231 t-case. I use 2 lo now, but only B/C i have the front d-shaft out. I have a very steep ramp to crawl up out at the lake, and there are soooo many idiots that get to the top, and decide it's time to unload the boat while everyone else is waiting. 4X4 lo will bind like crazy with the turn I have t make, and 2 hi is hard on the tranny to start out again whilst waiting for the bozos...

I have a good friend that has been towing with my old '94 V-8 ZJ for the past 5 years. He tows a built ton MJ on a double axle HD trailer. Only problem he's had with the '94, is the torque convertor.... the jeep has over 230,000 miles on it, with a BB and some 31" BFG AT KO's "C" load range. That Jeep will pull right up Montegle Mountain with that load, for those of you that know what that road is like,,, rediculous.

Last edited by AGRANDADDICTION; 10-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.
AGRANDADDICTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
geberhard
Grand Rookie

Great info, thanks! Any pics on where you installed the tyranny cooler? I am still fishing options, but the space is pretty tight to make it effective. I am even debating a puch\pull fan option in front or top of it, or if below deck, a fan\fin setup that can be manually engaged.

I am looking into converting the t-case to a part time case, any recommendations? I will search arond teh forum more. Atlas is out of question for now. 231's are very cheap here, probably modify linkages, etc, and pop it in?
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
AGRANDADDICTION
Grand Junkie

I haven't changed the rad or put an external cooler for the tranny on there yet. Will let you know what fits when I do it.

Here is what I've found on line though for tranny coolers on the 5-9ers;
http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?t=4175

Here is a link for the rad;
http://www.radiatorexpress.com/produ...aia_id=1315953

info on the 2-lo kit from JB conversions;
http://www.dirtroad.com/2-low.htm
This is how I'll build my 2nd 231 t-case... No need to twin stick the 231.
http://www.jpmagazine.com/howto/5449/index.html

Put the 231 in there. The 242 with the part-time full-time, is also a good t-case option. The 242 is a little harder to find though, and offers fewer aftermarket options.

The nice thing about the 231, is there is a 2:lo kit available for it now. I will rebuild another 231 case (an HD 231)over the winter with 2-lo kit installed. Basically, allows you to pull the t-case lever all the way back, putting it into 2 lo range.

Speedfreaks has al kinds of info on Superchargers, and hop ups for the 5-9ers. There is also a guy over there that will hop up the super-tuners programmer for the 5-9 any way you want it. So, if you build the 360, you can have a tuner that will work with larger injectors, cam changes, etc.

I also run a kand n cold air, with 3" exhaust from high flow cat to the HD new Cherry Bomb Muffler, and out.

My Jeep just has to stay with me now anyway. So, I'll rebuild the engine eventually, and put a rebuilt HD tranny in there too. I'm just going to run with what I build this winter for a while. I think it should do tow duty well next summer.

Tomorrow is finally lift day! I'll get pics up when it's finished.

Last edited by AGRANDADDICTION; 10-06-2010 at 09:22 AM.
AGRANDADDICTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
MOJeepr
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Any pics on where you installed the tyranny cooler?
Were you talking to me? Here is a pic, it's rather ghetto, but it's zip tied to the support behind the grill. The ugly red hose is what is feeding it.

(And thanks for making me go out to take the pic and see it sitting there sadly in it's crunched condition )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59cooler.jpg (102.6 KB, 5 views)
MOJeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #17
martinbrown0986
Grand Rookie

I agree with Clay. For occassional short hauls I'd do it. For regular towing duty, no way.
martinbrown0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement