Grand Willys Project - Page 127 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge--WK
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:16 AM   #1261
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
I wish I had half the patience you have!!! Awesome work as always!
Good training for it that is for sure!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2019, 04:23 AM   #1262
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Needed to make a template of the bonnet profile where the back flange on the front support sits. I used a trick where you choose a washer that is slightly more that the biggest gap from its edge to the bottom of the hole . Then run the washer along with the pencil inside it to get your line.

As I had to start with a large washer, you can see it is not accurate on the tighter radius in the middle. So I just ran a much smaller washer after this right along the bottom edge to get it right.

I went hunting at the wreckers and found this neat latch and safety catch in one off a 240 Volvo. I cut out the support pieces as well in case I need them. They are very similar to universal ones you can get, but found the quality higher on these. Not sure if it is worth the cost of replating though.

Started with the centre section and decided to put a joggle in so it sits flat with the bonnet skin flange. I also put a dimpled hole in so I can access the stud for the bonnet ornament.

The factory support was not very stiff and the cause of the flutter these bonnets get at speed. That is why I believe you see so many with side latches added later. So I made it flat right across the centre to give greater depth in the flange. Also followed the profile of the bonnet to give more depth in the corners of the steps, rather than just cutting through at a 45 degree angle as the factory did. Also welded in pieces into the bonnet flange to make them the same width in the steps as they were cut right back to aid the pressing of the bonnet. But this also made it weaker in the corners.

I added the same sized dimpled holes as the rear support to tie in the theme. They are much smaller and stronger than the large cut outs of the original support as I don't need access for a spot welder. I will be doing plug welds instead in the holes left from drilling out the spot welds.

The latch will mount in the section in front of the dimpled holes.

The centre section came from a 1952 Willys Wagon that I got along with my 1958 Willys. The 58 and Wagon pieces were actually parts left from building another Willys Truck! I bought all the leftovers. The Wagon has a different hood ornament that is bigger and goes down the centre rib. I designed the front support so that the rear flange ended up right under the mounting hole to further strengthen the skin to the support structure.

This is with the Wagon ornament in place. It used to cover the whole front of the centre section to the edge of the dog leg on each side.

This is one of the original Truck ornaments I have which are shorter and only have two points.

I like the Wagon one better as it helps the proportions as it finishes short about what the original Truck ones did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #1263
wildspear
Grand Zebra
Grand Addict

Looking really awesome, love reading and seeing your updates. Question, dont remember if you covered it. But how do you keep all that bare metal looking fresh? Do you keep a layer of light oil on it?

I'm in Michigan (USA) and bare metal tends to start getting rust on it quickly.

wildspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #1264
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

looks great Marcus
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:18 AM   #1265
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildspear View Post
Looking really awesome, love reading and seeing your updates. Question, dont remember if you covered it. But how do you keep all that bare metal looking fresh? Do you keep a layer of light oil on it?

I'm in Michigan (USA) and bare metal tends to start getting rust on it quickly.
I coat everything with lanolin. It flash rusts otherwise on humid days.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Generic...QAAOSw1AVcv7oz
This doesn't affect painting later on and I just wipe it off with a bit of acetone, thinners or even spray and wipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briian-Emmons View Post
looks great Marcus
Thanks mate.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #1266
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Thought I would check for the first time how I am for clearance with the headlight buckets and radiator.

Looks like I knew what I was doing! This is why I didn't want to move the headlight across when I widened that area.

Just enough room between them to run a support through.

This shows how much I miss shutting the bonnet though as it hits the radiator filler neck and the power steering reservoir.

So why not improve function and form together! Always my goal.

So I have added in 50mm/2" to the height of the grille. This helps as I can lower the radiator and still keep it within the frame or flange that runs along the bottom so the core sits up against the back of the grille. Also the top part of the grille wasn't letting any airflow through anyway and need that area for the lower part of the bonnet latch support. Win win!

Can really see the size difference, but think it disguises the extra 9" of width and the 2" of extra height only helps the proportions.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:34 AM   #1267
wildspear
Grand Zebra
Grand Addict

That grill is very cool, great job.

wildspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #1268
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

Grill is looking good Marcus
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:36 AM   #1269
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Thanks guys.
Just a quick update.

Fitted up the new 50mm-2" longer grille today to check the clearance. I went more than I needed to increase the airflow and proportions of the grille. Have 20mm-3/4" of room above the radiator filler cap and the power steering reservoir now.

Got that truck look back again. The step doesn't look that bad actually, bit like the MB and CJ's had.

I will deal with the guards when I move the fronts in an inch each side. Want to change the shape of the part alongside the grille anyway.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #1270
RedToad
Grand Rookie

Smile Fantastic!

I'm a total newbie here, but I just spent the last two hours tacking your progress from March of 2011. UNBELIEVABLE! You are making this creation your life's work. What a marvelous rig you are building, and what a wonder is your account of it, step by step. Do keep the updates coming!
RedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement