upper control arms contact 4.7 cat - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifts, Suspension, Axles, and Steering
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
grandmallcrawl
Grand Rookie

Hey guys Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have a 04 limited WJ with 4.7 and all stock exhaust. When the suspension was also stock I noticed the upper passenger side control arm just barley rub on the catalytic converter during flex drop of the axle.

Now I have a 3" lift with adjustable upper and lower control arms and my much beefier, thicker upper CA contacts the cat so much that it actually stops the axle drop.

Any one else have this issue? To me it just seems like it was built with lack of clearance but idk maybe something is tweaked on my Jeep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (70.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (2).jpg (55.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (71.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by grandmallcrawl; 03-27-2019 at 09:16 PM.
grandmallcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
Jeep Boy
Grand Addict

Hi there grandmallcrawl!
Hmm....that is something, I've never seen that before. What is the diameter of that CAT its hitting? Also what is the distance between that cat and the oil pan? I'll compare your findings to my grand.

-JB
--Airaid Jr. Intake, Trans-Go Shift Kit, 3" Glasspack Exhaust, KC Aux Driving Lights, 247 to 242HD Swap, 4" IRO Long Arms, 255/70R17 Toyo OC AT II's, Rubicon Wheels, Fuel Rail Modification, Solid Lash Adjusters, HO Cam Swap, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Hood Louvers, HIR High/Low Beam Bulbs, D30 True-Trac
Jeep Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
NovA ProspekT
Grand Rookie

Grand Cherokee's manufactured pior to 05/02/2003 have 2 smaller catalytic-converters before the Y-pipe and a third catalytic-converter after the Y-pipe. Grand Cherokee's manufactured after 05/02/2003 have 2 LARGER catalytic-converters and NO third catalytic-converter. Which system does your Jeep have?

My 04 WJ(manufactured 2004) needed a whole new catalytic-converter assembly when I bought it, which I had a local shop replace with a Magnaflow unit(part #23178). My OEM control arms would contact the new Magnaflow caalytic-converter at full droop, just as yours are doing now. However, I'm not sure if they were hitting my OEM catalytic-converter.

Maybe the larger cats are the problem?

Last edited by NovA ProspekT; 04-04-2019 at 08:25 PM.
NovA ProspekT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Jeep Boy
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovA ProspekT View Post
Grand Cherokee's manufactured pior to 05/02/2003 have 2 smaller catalytic-converters before the Y-pipe and a third catalytic-converter after the Y-pipe. Grand Cherokee's manufactured after 05/02/2003 have 2 LARGER catalytic-converters and NO third catalytic-converter. Which system does your Jeep have?

My 04 WJ(manufactured 2004) needed a whole new catalytic-converter assembly when I bought it, which I had a local shop replace with a Magnaflow unit(part #23178). My OEM control arms would contact the new Magnaflow caalytic-converter at full droop, just as yours are doing now. However, I'm not sure if they were hitting my OEM catalytic-converter.

Maybe the larger cats are the problem?
Ah! Good to know. I bet that is the issue. From the pictures those cats did look quite a bit larger then mine. A lift kit that would clear them would be the 3-Link Front Long Arm Kit from Iron Rock Offroad. There are no upper arms to worry about.
--Airaid Jr. Intake, Trans-Go Shift Kit, 3" Glasspack Exhaust, KC Aux Driving Lights, 247 to 242HD Swap, 4" IRO Long Arms, 255/70R17 Toyo OC AT II's, Rubicon Wheels, Fuel Rail Modification, Solid Lash Adjusters, HO Cam Swap, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Hood Louvers, HIR High/Low Beam Bulbs, D30 True-Trac
Jeep Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
NovA ProspekT
Grand Rookie

A few weeks ago I installed the Core4x4 Tier-4 control arms, like what OP has, and there does seem to be a good bit more clearance than I had with the factory arm. I havent had a chance to chekc the clearance at full droop yet, but I'll be doing so at some point.
NovA ProspekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement