ZJ Underhood Light Upgrade - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Write Ups/How-To
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
RedRocket94
Grand Junkie

Default ZJ Underhood Light Upgrade

I did this mod this past summer and I couldn't be happier. For reference, I have a 1994 5.2L. I have basically copied & pasted this from my cardomain page:
The underhood light provided from the factory leaves alot to be desired. The thing was so crudded up, that there was no point in replacing the bulb (which had been blown since cavemen ruled the earth). So I picked up a universal dome light from work for $6 ($7.49 retail). This can be found in the towing light section, and comes from Optronics (see above). It also has a manual switch, so no need to worry about the light coming on when parking on an incline (the factory light was controlled by a mercury switch, i believe). I just have to be careful to shut it off before closing the hood. The new assy uses a double-filament 1157 bulb (don't know why it came with double-filament, but they both light up, making it brighter than the old 1003 bulb).
I installed the new light in the factory location. This required trimming the opening in the hoodliner just a hair. I also had to drill four new holes for the screws, but I wired the light to the factory wires, to keep it as simple as possible, and to also use the factory circuit. Clear RTV sealant was used around the wire grommet in the light's base, and also to seal the lens to the base a little better. For those wanting to try this, be sure to mock it up first, because the light comes very close to the accumulator/reciever-drier when the hood is closed. Note: '96-98 ZJs w/ 4.0L don't have this problem, the accumulator is plenty low for good clearance (I did the same job on my dad's '97). So I spent less than $10 and can see under the hood the same as if I had a drop light...
Underhood Light, In Package, July2011.jpgUnderhood Light, Installed, July2011-.jpgUnderhood Light, Lit Up, July2011.jpg

Last edited by RedRocket94; 10-27-2011 at 07:45 AM.
RedRocket94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
nickwygant
Grand Rookie

this is what i did put a light under my hood and its on a switch super nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

nickwygant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
DrLocke
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwygant View Post
this is what i did put a light under my hood and its on a switch super nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice try but I think that looks fuggly. Although I am sure it works better than it looks.
Thanks for sharing.

With Spare Tire
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DrLocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
RedRocket94
Grand Junkie

I try to make things look as factory as possible whenever I can, but that fog light is prob brighter
Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
johnsjeep
Grand Junkie

I am making some rock lights for my WJ when I get them, reading this, maybe I wil add the extras under the hood for more light!
johnsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
Combat_Infidel
Grand Rookie

I have been thinking of trying some led strip lighting I know they make some with a marine application that would be perfect and since I have a switch panel I can wire it to a switch inside the Jeep

Infidel 6 out
Combat_Infidel is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement