Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

My 2001 60th Anniversary Edition Resto

9K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  crimsonleo 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a GC that was dead in the driveway. It had a window broken out, a flat tire, a crack in the top of the radiator at the inlet hose connection, a broken glove box latch, and a hole in the power steering pressure hose.
I went to the local You Pull It and found a window that had already been removed. I pulled the latch assembly out of the glove box, and pulled the ac/heater control. I don't need the control (yet) but if you have to buy one online they run $450+. I picked up a power steering hose and a JB Weld radiator epoxy repair kit at NAPA.
Yesterday my 23 year old daughter and I did all the repairs, got the rig running, poured some Lucas engine treatment in the gas tank, went to Discount Tire to get the flat replaced. I then finally got it home after a week of ownership.
Today I started going through it to see what other resto's need to be done.
Both headlight assemblies are cloudy, and having polished some in the past, I decided to purchase new ones. The right side passenger window doesn't move so I ordered a new motor/regulator assembly. The rear window wiper motor doesn't move anymore because the wiper arm had lost it's clip and the blade was wedged up under the hatch window. I will look for replacements at the You Pull It this next week.
When the front side window was busted out the previous owner decided to duct tape a piece of cardboard over the opening. You can't believe how hard it is to remove years old adhesive from paint, window rubber, and door panel. It will take at least 2 hours to get it all off.
The door that had the window broken out has no water shield underneath the door panel, and the rear hatch doesn't either. I'll probably end up siliconing in some plastic.
The roof rack and windshield wipers are really faded so I'll pull them and paint them. Rustoleum makes a paint/primer spray paint that's a metallic look, which works great, and is a hard coat. I've used it on my Blazer rack and wiper arms.
I'm going to replace all interior bulbs with LED's. They've been ordered and are on their way.
The hood has 3 or 4 very small rust spots which I've put some rust neutralizer on for now. Later on I'll get it repainted.
The original rims were replaced with black ones, which I don't care for, so I'll be having new rims and tires installed. The tires are 10 years old.
Last on the list will be getting the leather seats redone as they're looking pretty old. There's no cracking but it's just a matter of time.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Went to You Pull It again today and picked up a rear passenger window regulator and the rear wiper arm. Installed the regulator when I got home. Works like a champ. Later this evening I stopped by the store and picked up some spray paint. I'll pull my wiper arms and primer and paint them to look a little better. Later on I'll do the roof rack the same color. Took the rig out on the highway to see if the cruise control works and see how it does at 70+ mph. I was also interested in the mpg. It ran fantastic and the mpg was better than expected. I'm falling in love with this GC really fast. Also used tire shine to make the rims and tires look good.

#3 ·
Went to You Pull It after work (again) and picked up a rear hatch wiper motor. My 23 year old daughter was with me and while I was pulling it she checked out the other 4 GC's. She yells "DAD COME HERE". She found a cargo area retracting cover. We bought both for under $40. When we got home we put both in and they work great. All the necessary repairs have now been finished. Up next is new headlight assemblies, hood supports, rear hatch and window supports, exterior LED's, and the painting of the front wiper arms and roof rack.

#6 ·
Installed the newly painted rear wiper arm. Installed new LED bulbs in the tail light assembly. Only installed the tail/brake bulbs. The reverse and turn signal LEDs are on their way. I tried one of the tail/brake bulbs in the turn signal socket but it hyper flashed, so when I get the new bulbs I'll install some resistors. I have some left over from my Blazer resto.

#7 ·
Great story! My kids also like to visit Jalopy Jungle with me and find parts. The only thing that bugs me is your radiator repair. It will fail on you at the worst time. A new one only costs $100 at the parts store.
I always look at all the GC's and pick the best looking part. I found a brand new blower motor for $6.
Let us know how the project is going! Den

#8 ·
The radiator would concern me but for two reasons. 1- I don't put a lot of miles on my rigs (maybe 2-3k a year), and I don't go out of the area with it (I have a 34 mpg 2013 Dodge Dart for that); and 2- The JB Weld radiator epoxy repair kit is the strongest stuff I've ever seen. After I get all the planned projects done I might replace it. Thanks for the concern though.

#10 ·
Received quite a few items in the mail today. Installed new LED's in the interior, license plate fixture, and engine bay. Pulled the front windshield wiper arms and repainted. They were impossible to pull with the tools I have so I hit O'Reillys and picked up a puller used on tie rod ends (worked great). Installed new headlight assemblies including new bulbs. Installed new hood support arms. I've been using a stick.

#11 ·
When I bought my GC there was a cable coming out of the dash panel going to a remote control laying in front of the ashtray, and a magnetic antenna on the roof above the rear window. After a little investigation I discovered it's part of an XM satellite system, which I won't use. This thing hanging out of the dash was driving me nuts so this evening I decided to see what it would take to remove it.I traced all the wires to a box that someone has mounted under the passenger side carpet in the foot well. When I pulled it out I discovered that they just drilled through the foot well and didn't even use silicone, so there was a small amount of rust. I pulled all of it out and hooked up the original antenna lead and now I have radio with nothing hanging out of the dash. Converted the high stop light to LED.

#14 ·
Installed a new radio head unit. It has hands free calling and a USB port. Boss unit for $20. Took me a while because of all the wiring. When I powered it up I had the radio playing but no sound. Found out the Infinity amp was getting no power so I hooked up the blue power antenna wire to another blue wire on the harness and BOOM, sound!!! Discovered that the front drivers side speaker is shot so I'm ordering new speakers tonight. These 18 year old speakers have to be tired.

#18 ·
Received the radiator today. I ordered it from a place here in our state called Radiator Express. Picked up new hoses, coolant, and Purple ice at AZ. The Purple Ice claims to lower the temp 25* so why not see if they're telling the truth. Tomorrow I get the last of my top teeth pulled for upper dentures and once I feel better the radiator is going in. I have the next week and a half off and it will be the perfect time to do it. I'll try to remember to take some pics.

#19 · (Edited)
Removed the radiator today. I elected to not remove the whole front end. It took about 3-4 hours. I couldn't put the new one in because the lower trans cooler line was rusted onto the radiator and I had to order a new one. Should be here tomorrow. In the meantime I cleaned the areas that were exposed now. Removed some wiring someone had jury-rigged in for a remote starter system.

#20 · (Edited)
Put in a new radiator and upper/lower hoses. Put in new rubber transmission hoses down below. Hooked up power steering lines. Filled everything and drove it for awhile. Topped off the coolant. I haven't noticed any leaks yet. When I put the coolant in I added some Purple Ice. It did run a little cooler on the gauge than it used to but that could also be the new radiator too. We'll see. Next up, the new Boss speakers for the front and back. Maybe tomorrow.

#22 ·
Pulled both front door panels and installed new weather-shield barrier, and mirrors I got at You Pull It. Removed some hack job wiring done when someone installed a remote start system. In the process of pulling it I removed the A pillar cover and discovered the sunroof drain line was in pieces. I've picked up new drain hose and will install it in the next couple of days.

#24 ·
Removed as much of the aftermarket remote start system as I was comfortable in doing. Pulled the dash and ran new sunroof drain tubes from the front of the sunroof to the holes in the floor. Took about 8 hours for it to get done. Installed new Weather Tech mats in the front. Took it for an hour and a half drive to see how all the previous repairs were going to hold up and observed no issues.

#27 ·
Installed the K&N filter and the seat motor. While I had the seat out I rebuilt the foam cushion. I added LED strip lighting to the shifter console so I could finally see what position it was in at night. I put two strips in but I might have to pull one of them out as it's almost too bright. We'll see. Pulled both rear door panels and installed new speakers. Installed new weather shield in the passenger side rear door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.