Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Fender Flares

67K views 73 replies 38 participants last post by  Enzo 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Mine are back on again after the paint job.

I originally had them on the existing sheet metal flare and they just stuck out too far. I moved them up about 2" on to the flat surface of the quarterpanel. On the first run I banged the drivers side front flare and lost a bolt.

Cherokees are approx 4" narrower than grands and the bushwhacker pocket flares really stick out on the grand. I'm running 33 x 12.5 in the pics below.

Overall they are not a good fit. They look OK. It would be nice if bushwacker made some 3-4" flares that actually fit the grand.

#7 ·
ya know, I was just going to ask about if they would work or not and I really dont like the look of the flares on there, the bushwacker ones actually. Well that answers my question, thanks.

RockZJ

#10 ·
MyNameIsJerry said:
I've now heard of Liberty flares being used. Maybe those loser cruisers are good for something?
There's a guy that installed a set of KJ fender flares on Mallcrawlin':
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11964

But, IMO, on ZJs, if you're running big flares like Bushwackers you have to be running large diameter tires and rims with minimal backspacing to look right. They look out of place even with 33s

#17 ·
This might be an old thread but for anybody who still wants fender flares for the ZJ I found some GOOD NEWS. Bushwacker is coming out with cut out flares for the ZJ and they even have a part # for them but no time frame yet when they will be out!!! just thought I'd let y'all know.

#19 ·
I went with the iceland flares. They will take a good hit without damage. In the event that they do break, its easy enough to repair fiberglass. Bushwackers seem flexible, but when they take a hit, you'll find out how brittle they really are. Good luck trying to repair the plastic these are made of.

#21 ·
Sweet deal on Bushwacker coming out with a ZJ version the XJ version doesn't fit great on the ZJ and I love the look of the Iceland Offroad flares but I do not want to chop into the rear of my rig like that. Plus they say to fill those rear fender holes with expandable foam but that Shittt just sucks up water and causes everything to rust.

#24 ·
any word on the zj bushwacker flares?

#64 ·
i have done alot of custom fiberglass pieces, from speaker pannels, and interior pieces to one-off hood scoops and snorkles to fit turbos and high rise intake set-ups. If you dont mind a little work and trial and error, it is definatly the way to go, and it is ALOT cheaper than buying flairs.
The way i would do it would be to :

Get some hard foam. (like what is used in fake flower arrangements) You can get this at most any hobby store.

I use a serraded blade knife and a heavy grit sandpaper to shape the foam pieces to the desired shape of the flairs. (I use hot-glue to stick pieces of foam togeather to get the length and width needed)

Once you have the foam molded to the shape of the flairs you want, and have them mocked up on the jeep and everything fits and looks the way you want it to, you can start the fiberglass process by laying the fiberglass on top of the foam and saturating the glass with resin. I would probably make it several layers thick.

Once the fiberglass has set, you can sand it smoothe and paint.

Be warned! Once you have mastered the outside fiberglass molding process, it is extremely addictive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.