Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

info center change

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Utah_ZJ 
#1 ·
So has any one changed out the cheap laredo info center by the shifter for the limited one? I have a 98 zj and the plug is the same but nothing happens when i plug it in. was woundering if i had to change something else out as well.

#4 ·
Well the Laredo is just a top view of the jeep and a couple of lights. The limited is all dig. Tells you everything. I trying pluging it a limited one in and it did nothing. didnt even light up when i turned on the lights.

#6 ·
I think you just have the lights that show you which mode the Xfer case is in.
I am thinking that the digital one needs the sensors to drive it and probably a control box as well.
Do you have the sensors for washer fluid level, etc?

From ALLData:
The Vehicle Information Center (VIC) is an available option on Grand Cherokee models. The VIC module replaces the standard equipment Graphic Display Module. The VIC is mounted in the lower center stack area of the instrument panel, above the ash receiver and below the climate controls.

The VIC consists of a multi-colored vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) screen with a vehicle outline. The VIC is able to display four functions in a choice of five languages. The display functions include:

Current time (12 or 24 hour clock), day, and date
Monitor specific vehicle operating systems and alert the driver of a malfunction in a monitored system
Display service reminders or the distance to the next service interval
The current transfer case mode of operation (four-wheel drive models).

The display language choices include:

English
French
German
Italian
Spanish.

The VIC receives input from hard-wired sensors and over the Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) data bus network. In response to these inputs, the VIC offers a combination of graphic and message displays, and provides requests for audible chime alerts to the Body Control Module (BCM) on the CCD data bus.

For diagnosis of the VIC module or the CCD data bus, refer to the proper Computers and Control Systems/Body Control Module/Testing and Inspection Procedures. The VIC module cannot be repaired. If damaged or faulty, the entire module must be replaced.

CIRCUIT OPERATION

Several fuses supply power to the Vehicle Information Center (VIC) . When the ignition switch is in the RUN position it connects circuit A1 from fuse 8 in the PDC to circuit A22. Circuit A22 feeds circuit F83 through fuse 6 in the junction block. Circuit F83 supplies voltage to the VIC.

Circuit A7 from fuse 15 in the PDC powers circuit F60 through fuse 20 in the junction block. Circuits A7 and F60 are HOT at all times. Circuit F60 feeds the VIC.

Circuit A6 from fuse 13 in the PDC powers circuit 366 through fuse 17 in the junction block. Circuit 366 connects to the headlamp switch. When the headlamp switch is in the PARK or LOW position, it connects circuit 366 to circuit L90. Circuit L90 connects to the VIC. Circuit E2 from the Body Control Module (BCM) powers the illumination lamps in the VIC.

Circuits Z1 and Z2 provide ground for the VIC.

Look at the circuit diagrams. It looks like the ones without the VIC are missing a lot of items...

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. The swap wasnt for me. But i figured it needed more then just a plug in. I had asked the dealership and they had said the same that you cant swap it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.