Infinity no sound question [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: Infinity no sound question

imprezkid
09-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm sure its been covered before, but i have no sound from my infinity stereo, 95 zj, the headunit comes on but the lights on the equilizer do not, i remember reading that this means something, but i forgot what? Is the amp shot, it was doing some funny things? I know it had the wrong speakers in it, it has 4 like 130w 4ohm audiobahns in it, didn't sound amazing but had noise. Anyone have any ideas, i looked for a fuse for the amp no could find?
Thank in advance

Jaydubya2003
09-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Well the factory speakers in an Infinity system are supposed to be 2 ohm's so most aftermarket speakers will put less of a load on the factory amp than the originals. But for no sound...it could be a lot of things. First off if you have aftermarket speakers in there from someone else then I would pull them all out and check to make sure none of the "terminals" (metal prongs where the wires attach) are touching metal. If any one of the terminals touches metal while the power is on it will "ground out" the system giving you no sound (which also isn't good for the system...lol). Plus it would have been "acting funny" as you put it with some popping from time to time or weird noises over bumps and such.

Hope this helps

ejschultz
10-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Did you recently switch to an aftermarket head unit or are you still using the factory unit? If you switched, you have to hook up the remote turn on from the aftermarket HU to the power antenna wire on the wiring harness. This will turn on the stock Infinity amp when the HU turns on. That took me a while to figure out in my ZJ. Or, you could do what I ultimately ended up doing: put in your own amp and run all new wiring.

Tiernan
01-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Might be to late but i had the same problem in my 97 gc and my conections where good and everything i relised that i just blew all four of my speaker (aftermarkets to) sucks but i didnt have sound just my 10's and i figured it out after hooking up new speakers