Crutchfield Quote for 5.9 Limited system [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: Crutchfield Quote for 5.9 Limited system

Comanche County
08-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I've got a 1998 5.9 Limited and I am ready to upgrade the entire system. I filled out the Crutchfield "Expert Recommendation" form. I like the components they picked out but the price is well over 1,000 bucks for the same items on other websites. Will they come down on the price or should I buy elsewhere? $399 for an amp install kit - gimme a break! :mad: I'm looking to spend around 1-1.5K for a good system and install myself, not 2.7K. I could take it to a shop and have it done for that much. I like Crutchfield a lot but that gave me sticker shock. :eek:

I welcome any and all recommendations...

Here's the shopping cart they made for me. Just click on the continue button to see everything. http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rXYEc111/EmailCart.asp?emType=3&emKey=575737

I want either a good Alpine or Kenwood HU (I like the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994), two 6.5" component sets (front doors and rear sound bar), 6.5" two ways for the rear doors, good quality 10"s or 12"s for the rear and two amps to run it all. Basically I want to replace everything with better speakers and add some decent bass.

Thanks,
Jay

Cody
08-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't do rear door speakers AND rear sound bar...pick one or the other. Sound quality is not about quantity of speakers, it's about quality.

If it were me, I would spend more on a really nice set of front components and then a little less on the rears. Your front stage is more important most of the time...I don't even run a rear stage at all.

Some items you can still find online for a lot less, although many manufacturers have taken steps to get rid of unauthorized online dealers killing their prices. If nothing else, you can get good wiring and sound deadening online for deep discounts. Good wiring is critical.

Other than that, go to a few shops and listen to components. All the specs are pretty meaningless if you don't like how they sound. Lots of people like Infiniti speakers, but they sound too bright to me and sound quality is relative to the listener. I prefer JBL components, but there are always at least a half dozen comparable options in the same price point. If you're going to use the factory dash location, then be sure to find a component that has a crossover with a -3db attenuation feature. When those tweets shelf off of the windshield you get a 3db gain, and they will be unbalanced and sound like broken glass scraping against a chalkboard while a thousand babies cry about birds chirping too loudly.

Comanche County
08-25-2010, 01:46 PM
HAHA, thanks, will do. Any particular dealer you recommend?