Stock Alarm issues in ZJ Help???? [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: Stock Alarm issues in ZJ Help????

Harleyhector
01-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I have a 1998 GC ZJ. It has the 5.9/auto/awd. Has every option of its time. Two nights ago while sitting at a traffic light, the head/tail lights as well as the dash lights all started to flick on and off as if the alarm was going off. it cycled maybe 8 or 9 times and then stopped. The horn did not honk with the lights. Then when I pulled into my driveway, it did the exact same thing. I do not have a ket phobe for this Jeep's alarm and frankly, I just don't need the alarm. Is there a way to bypass this alarm all together or does anyone have any ideas on what is going on with it and how to fix it? Thanks in advance

Jay5oh
01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
There seem to be a few reasons the alarms randomly go off.
1. bad door switch.
2. bad hatch switch
3. bad battery
4. bad wires that run fom the interior to the door
5. ??
6. ??

I have a 97 this may or may not work for you, here is what I did:

Remove the drivers door panel. In the cluster of wires that goes across the door there is a purple w/yellow stripe wire. But IIRC yours has a purple/white wire. Cut it and ground the end that goes toward the front of the door. These same wires run up behind the kick panel and some folks have grounded the wire there.

This "fixed" my alarm going off randomly BUT it also made my dome lights stay on. For now I pulled the dome light fuse. I guess the right way is to have a dealer disable it with some scan tool...

BigD
01-12-2010, 04:50 AM
I did the same thing to my '93 inside the passenger door without the issue of the dome lights staying on. My wire was Purple with a white tracer on it. Ground the end heading into the jeep to the door, no more security problems.

Cap the other end for good measure.