What now? [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: What now?

dlundblad
12-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Ok my radio in my WJ is fine. It plays perfectly... The CD part is another story. When I go through the tracks, it goes from like 3-5-8-12-2... yesterday it said 2 but went to 11 and played 11... Then today I listened to the first song and it went strait to the fifth song... ahhh... and the songs that were skipped were the reason I bought the CD...lol :rolleyes:

The sound quality is still good, but also today when I drove over a railroad crossing, it cut out as I went over the bumps... Im sure these symptoms are sure signs of a failing system.

So what would you guys do? Be cheap (may use this option for a while...:D) and keep what I got and deal with it. It plays stuff fine. Go to a salvage yard and buy another one? Or find a nice after market CD player?

Of course, my teen buddies want me to get a aftermarket one, but they also have all that sub crap in their cars... Not my cup of tea at all... :eek:

Thanks

dlundblad
12-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Ok so I found the issue for the skipping. It was on the random setting. So thats ok... (can you all tell Im not too smart with this stuff? lol)

But it is still cutting out over bumps...and it later cut out while I was listening to the radio so I may still have a problem in the future. :(

Cody
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
If it's cutting out over bumps (just the audio, not the lights?) then it sounds like it's either something internal in the stereo, or possibly a wire grounding out somewhere--maybe the door jam?--that is causing the problem.

Aftermarket decks aren't all about "sub crap", they have superior audio processing capabilities, more power, more options etc etc.

Also, subs do have their place. If you take a sub out of your home surround sound system, what does the rest of it sound like? That's how much difference a nice balanced sub makes to a car audio system too. You don't have to hear it a mile away.

dlundblad
12-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah, its just the audio that is going out...

Cody
12-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Well then you have a win win situation in front of you. Swap the POS stock radio out and don't look back.

savexourxship
12-12-2009, 04:51 AM
This is a no-brainer dude!

http://www.crutchfield.com/c_3/Car-Audio-Video.html

dlundblad
12-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks and nice website... Ill keep that in mind..