Remote Key Fob problems [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: Remote Key Fob problems

firerich
08-12-2008, 02:25 AM
I have to be virtually within 1 metre of mycar to unlock/lock it using the fobs.
I have replaced both batteries in the fob. And both fobs are the same.
Can you alter the transmitter/receiver range?

Jeepy5Point2
08-12-2008, 05:31 AM
no you cant change anything... believe it or not a lot of the transmitters will give you a little jump in distance if you hold the remote up to you chin. i install aftermaket stuff at circuit city and i have tried it.

anyway if i remember right from your other post on this question you have a 2000 cherokee a after market keyless installed would be about 100 bucks... the unit is self if you can get them to sell it to you (most places wont and it is on the account that the manufacter (DEI) has said that they need to be installed professionally for any warrenty to be available) would cost some where around 40 to 50 dollars and it is relitvly very easy to insall.

good luck

Bret

btw if you do buy one shoot me a line and ill tell you all the wires you need to hook up to

richp
08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
I get about 30 feet on my factory 97ZJ. I do have new keyfobs though and they work OK, I've tested the distance with the panic button and the doors always unlock when I need them too as I'm walking up to it. Got another new fob coming today, wife lost her's somewhere in the house with her keys, sure wish they had some kind of noise maker I could trigger to find the dam thing...

Jeepy5Point2
08-14-2008, 06:59 AM
sorry i dont know what i was thinking if you have a 2000 grand cherokee it will take a little more, there are 2 ways to do the lcks one requries you to run lines into the doors which sucks the other is you by a module that will interface with your obd data wire and it is control your locks from there. that mod can run anywhere between 70 and 100 dollars retail but you might be able to find it cheaper online