Alarming problem [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: Alarming problem

Mulie
12-05-2007, 01:06 AM
My '94 ZJ Limited (with factory alarm) has in the last two weeks set the alarm off four times for no apparent reason. Twice this has been in the early morning hours. A real pain to get up and key the door lock so the alarm stops blowing the horns. That would be the electric air horns that I replaced the stock ones with. Those horns are loud and sound great, but not at 2:00AM!.
Any thoughts on what I should be checking to fix the problem. Or, how do I disable the alarm system so I can lock the car and not have the alarm armed?

redzjon31's
12-05-2007, 07:33 AM
I had the same problem with my 95 i pulled some fuses and relays and hen disconnected the battery and let it sit for a while and then the problem never came back, but then the problem i had after that was the interior lights wouldnt go off so you might want to watch out for that next

JeepinJoesZJ
12-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Don't hit the lock switch, just slide the manual lock to the locked position, this will not activate the alarm. But if more than the driver door is unlocked, hit the lock switch then unlock and lock the door from the outside manually before you go in, inconvient yes but better to be inconvienieced at 9pm than 3 am...

baseball_playa1575
12-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I had the same problem with mine, except it started when I was at a motel for a few nights, I kept getting complaints in the morning and I didnt even know it was going off. I disabled mine so it never arms itself. I grounded a wire in the back hatch. It can be done at any at either front door or rear hatch I believe. I cant remember what wire it is but I can go look if you would like me to?

Mulie
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Replacing the battery and cleaning the battery terminals helped a lot, but I still was getting some random alarms.
So, I disabled the alarm completely.

Here are the instructions and the link to the location that I found them.

Normally, you would insert the key in the drivers door, turn left, then right
to disarm and reset it. If yours is malfunctioning, you can disable it for good by doing the following:

The FACTORY ALARM DISARM WIRE IS purple/yellow |-| in the driver kick panel area, at the black plug.

(That is the big black plug that feeds the wire harness from the drivers door thru the firewall. The wire (purple with small yellow stripe) is toward the top back and a little hard to get to. I tested it with a sharp probe that was grounded to make sure that it would reset the alarm before I spliced into it and tied it to ground. This will let you continue to use your remote entry/lock feature. When locking the car with the remote the SECURITY red light no longer comes on on the dash.)

Once Located, splice into this wire with a simular guage wire, and put it to a solid chassis ground. This terminates the alarm functions entirely.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Car-Alarms-1513/1993-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-2.htm

I shouldn't have any more false alarms now.