amplifier [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: amplifier

zacharykro
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
where is the amplifier for the door speakers in a 96 laredo il-6??

is replacing it cheap/easy/worth it ?

LouisianaZJ
03-31-2007, 10:10 PM
under the rear seats if you have the infinity speakers

if you have the base stereo, the amp is just the head unit

zacharykro
04-01-2007, 12:08 AM
i have the base unit. can i add power w/o a new indash?

qkassidyw
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Can you add an amp without a new head unit? If that is your question then yes...but you will need a high level converter. It taps into your speaker connections and outputs as RCA connections which would run to your amp. You can get one at Best Buy or Circuit City for like 40 bucks but I bet there are ones online for cheaper.

Hachiroku
04-09-2007, 06:11 AM
And if you're looking around for an amp to fit in your stock location I suggest the JL Audio 300/4. I'm running that in there because I've known too many people that have had their cars broken into and their stuff stolen because it was so apparently obvious they had systems.

Horus
04-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Are there any good amps I can bolt in place of the factory Infinity amp. My ZJ has the stock head unit and aftermarket speakers in the door. I notice when I turn up the volume it seems to quiet down a bit a second or so after I turn up the volume. There is also a point where it does not get any louder with volume increase.

I want to keep my stock head unit ( for anti-theft ) and just want to pop a more powerful amp under my seat in place of the stocker. I don't even want to re-wire anything. Suggestions?

midwestzj
04-12-2007, 08:12 AM
i had the same problem with my stock HU even with an aftermarket amp, the volume would just turn itself down. nothing would fix it until i got a new HU.

zacharykro
04-14-2007, 11:06 AM
the stock hu is poop. i have a crappy used dual and it sounds 200% better. i have factory speakers and they sound.. okay. im not going to replace them unless i find some cheap that blow them away

qkassidyw
04-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Are there any good amps I can bolt in place of the factory Infinity amp. My ZJ has the stock head unit and aftermarket speakers in the door. I notice when I turn up the volume it seems to quiet down a bit a second or so after I turn up the volume. There is also a point where it does not get any louder with volume increase.

I want to keep my stock head unit ( for anti-theft ) and just want to pop a more powerful amp under my seat in place of the stocker. I don't even want to re-wire anything. Suggestions?
Yes you can add an amp without replacing the stock headunit right in place of your inifinty amp. Some wires will have to be cut but it might actually work better.

There are input lines coming from the headunit which you can use, but you need to buy an amp that directly accepts speaker wire for input as an alternate to RCA's (many aftermarket amplifiers have these). So, you can use the input lines for your new amps input and all of the speaker wires are right there at the Infinity Amp location so all you would have to do is run power and ground (I belive remote is at the amp too). If you decide to go this route PM me and I will get you all of the wire colors you need to do this.