Remote Wire [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: Remote Wire

SOLITUDE
10-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Is it safe for me to hook up my remote wire to the 12 volt power wire to the cd player? There is a little distortion to my sound system and I'm trying to eliminate it.

Shmoove
10-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Is it distortion or is it Engine noise ??

Angelous
11-01-2006, 05:18 AM
if you hook it up there then your amp will always be on unless your hooking it to the ignition side of the 12 volts. You wil then have increased signal noise as well. Its best to use the remote wire or power antenna wire and make sure your run your audio cables on the opposite side of your car for your amp then the power and ground wires.

SOLITUDE
11-01-2006, 07:36 AM
yeah so I figured out where all this "crap" noise is coming from... Here is exactly what happens. When I first turn on the car or when I switch tracks I hear, "thump" x9 faintly enough to be annoying.

I tried hooking it up to the ignition 12volt wire. You were right... More noise. My rca cable and my power wires are indeed running down the same side of the vehicle. so it sounds like I have a new project for tommorow afternoon. I'm considering investing in some monster rca cables, only because they are shielded. so, I'll keep you guys informed. I'm probably not the only person with this problem.

S682
11-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Also, make sure that you have a nice, clean spot for a ground. I spent 5 years doing installations for a living and we always used to run a 12 ga wife from the head unit back to the same ground as the amp. That way you work to eliminate any noise issues that might be caused by a ground loop.

SOLITUDE
11-03-2006, 03:27 PM
that sounds like a good idea. I think when I rewire it again ill run that extra wire for the cd player ground. Thanks for the idea.