Can't Make mind up about components [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: Can't Make mind up about components

mattdobb
09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I am up in the air on which set of components to get it's between these 4 models. Focal 165K2P, Dynaudio System 240 GT, DLS Iridium 6.2 or Nobelium 6.2. My biggest concern right now is not having enough power to run some of these. I have a 300/4 that I can be bridge to 150 x 2 rms but then I will need another amp for the rear midbass's :-| I am not totally against another amp just was hoping to get it done with this amp. If anyone thinks this amp is not powerful enough to run these please say so. Also what would be your pick out of the 4 models spec'd?

JDirt
09-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Speakers are always a personal preference thing. My personal favorite is the Eclipse components. Of the choices you listed I like the Focals. You really need to listen to all the brands your interested in and see what you like. The Focals have a "flatter" sound so they seem to tune better to your liking. Some brands like JL have a higher pitch that your always trying to tune out of them. But again that's just what I think. (so the hate replies won't be necessary) If you have the opportunity to hear the various speakers installed, that's the best way to decide. They always sound different on the wall.

As far as power, I would say your amp should be fine. I think it will be as loud as you can handle way before it starts to "clip".

Angelous
09-15-2006, 04:41 AM
x2 on the personal thing. I have always preferred MBQuart myself.

mattdobb
09-15-2006, 05:22 AM
Speakers are always a personal preference thing. My personal favorite is the Eclipse components. Of the choices you listed I like the Focals. You really need to listen to all the brands your interested in and see what you like. The Focals have a "flatter" sound so they seem to tune better to your liking. Some brands like JL have a higher pitch that your always trying to tune out of them. But again that's just what I think. (so the hate replies won't be necessary) If you have the opportunity to hear the various speakers installed, that's the best way to decide. They always sound different on the wall.

As far as power, I would say your amp should be fine. I think it will be as loud as you can handle way before it starts to "clip".

I heard the focals and I and I liked them. As I told you in my other thread I am a custom installer, I have installed dynaudio in home theaters and they are kick @ss. There is also a dealer close enough to me that I can go hear those. As far as DLS of though I have no way of hearing these but really really want to. From what others have been saying on different forums make them sound very worthy of consideration. Any opinions of DLS?

dusty122
09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Scrap the rear speakers unless u actually care about the ppl in the back seat of your car. rear speakers will cause more damage to your SQ. and Sq seems to be a priority considering the speakers you are lookin at. my buddy has the focal poly k's and they are alright but definitly lack midbass compared to my adire kodas and my other buddies DLS. The highs are nice but a little sharp. Id personally go with the DLS or the Dynaudio's. idk if adire audio is still making their koda 6.1kit or their extremis kit but thats another one to check out (best off axis reposnse in the market as of 2 years ago) another pair to check out are the SEAS lotus kit. Im ordering the SEAS kit for my mustang and what ive heard is theyve got the best midbass driver on the market.

mdoffroad
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Stick with the Quarts, great sutff reasonable pricing, very nice sound

SOLITUDE
10-25-2006, 06:14 PM
audiobahn 6.5 mid's and audiobahn highs! amazing sound of a 800 rms 4 channel audiobahn amp. 2 alum12n's powered by two A8000T's. 154db last time I went to the car show.

mdoffroad
10-25-2006, 06:20 PM
eewwwwwww

Shmoove
10-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Component Speakers are personal preference, I work @ a Custom audio facility in Utah, it all depends on what sound realm you want to be on, Focal is hands down a nice speaker, but so are most depending on who you are asking. If you have not had the chance to Listen to any Memphis components I would wait to make your choice until then, they are an exceptional speaker for the $$ I have seen 3 real top lines ( Hertz, MB Quart, and Focal ) and I would take Memphis over any of them. there Msync series will List out @ about 249.95 I went with the MSQ series and lists out @ 399.95 I would put my Memphis MSQ's against any top lines, the Hertz Mille, MB Quart Q's and Focal Utopia's....... But again that is just my preference.... you need to listen and see what fits best in your sound range, also I am only running an MCA-2004 amp to my front and rears and an MCD-500 to my Single 12" and I am knocking people out of there minds with the SQ in my 97 Civic

SOLITUDE
10-31-2006, 12:05 PM
This is a picture from a couple weeks ago. I just re-wired it today. amps at 1ohm speakers at 2 ohm. 1600 watt RMS.
http://www.grandcherokeephotos.com/albums/userpics/10107/normal_zj05.jpg

Angelous
10-31-2006, 12:08 PM
sweet setup just dump the deka battery and get an optima

redzjon31's
10-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Nice setup how do u have the battery bolted down back there though? [smilie=bal_ask.gif]

SOLITUDE
10-31-2006, 01:17 PM
i have a optima yellow top under the hood. The battery is just strapped the the side using tie straps... eh, soon to be a nice shiney battery box. The battery was free, and worked perfect. So eventually I'll up to another Optima. box is soon to be mounted to jeep unibody. Drillin hole's in the jeepster... It's always fun.