Replacing Infinity HU With Aftermarket HU [Archive] - North American Grand Cherokee Association

: Replacing Infinity HU With Aftermarket HU

jwgeorge
08-31-2006, 09:11 PM
OK, I know this question has been asked over and over again, but I just bought my first ZJ and can't seem to find any good info.
It's a 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the Infinity Gold System, AM/FM/Cass.
I have a new Kenwood KDC-MP2032 HU to install in the ZJ.
I know I can connect to a wiring adapter to the factory harness.
But, This HU is rated at 22Wx4 RMS and 50Wx4 Peak power.
I'm afraid that shoving all this "rated" power into the line-level outputs of the factory Infinity amps will cause problems.

Will this work OK or am I destined for trouble or crappy sound?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jay

97ZJ_guy
08-31-2006, 10:20 PM
I replaced my Infinity head unit with an aftermarket one and I ran it with the stock amp for over a year and a half. I recently just pulled the amp out and I can't tell any difference in sound quality and it opened up some more storage space.

Angelous
09-01-2006, 05:47 AM
x2 - ditch the factory amp. It will sound better without it. Also you might want to swap door speakers as well.

dashnJGC
09-01-2006, 05:12 PM
you can do what you want but i think mine sounds great the way i tuned it to mys stock amp and speakers the only thing i added was the deck and the 3 10s that i got in the back the thing will break a window if it has a chip in it

jwgeorge
09-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the replies!
97ZJ_guy: How did you interface between the HU and the fact. system, harness adapters or some sort of module?
I have been reading about a PAC OEM-1 and am wondering if I need this or just the wire/plug adapter.

I just want to replace the HU right now. Just got the truck and need to use my money towards a lift and tires.

Thanks,
Jay

97ZJ_guy
09-03-2006, 09:46 PM
I just used the wiring adapter kit and the peace that the HU mounts into, where the factory HU was. So i would say that you don't need the PAC OEM-1 piece.

jwgeorge
09-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks!
That's all I needed to know.
I got cheap PAC OEM-1 off of Ebay, but I will get the harness adapters and use them.