Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

4 wheel to 2 wheel

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  GoingOffRoading 
#1 ·
is there a direct-fit transfercase for the 249 that will give me 2h 4h N 4l? if so what?

#3 ·
funny you ask... i just did the swap about an hour ago in my '97 with the 5.2L; the 242 was from a '98 ZJ with a 4.0L. The 242 basicaly bolted up where the 249 came out, however, the 242 is about 1.5 inches longer than the 249. Luckily my 3.5" lift made up for the difference so i didn't need a shorter rear driveshaft. All splines were the same. The 242 had a boot on the output instead of the extension housing and seal, but works just as well if not better. The infamous input shafts were even the same length. The only part I had to swap from the 249 was the speedometer assembly because the connector was different (i'm guessing the difference was in the years) but it was an easy swap. Total, I spent $300 at the junk yard, $30 in fluids and 5 hours of my time. All the nuts and bolts are 15mm and the most useful tool turned out to be a short open ended wrench (to reach the top bolts). I'm on my way to go make the VIC read correctly right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.