DUI replacement rig, in with the zj - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Rigs, Trips, and Events > Your Jeep Grand Cherokee
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
hansshanks
Grand Rookie

Default DUI replacement rig, in with the zj

So figured it was a good time to finally start a build thread. So back in Oct I ran over a drunk driver on the freeway when he cut me off on my way back to my hotel after the military ball. My xj and his Nissan pickup were totaled. I walked away and he went to jail. My xj had 3 inch RE short arm lift, 31, sliders, and bumpers. I was planning on giving this to my oldest son as his first rig because i wanted to move up to a ZJ. well things didn't work that way.

after the wreck, my bumper did its job. Destroyed the nissan

So with the insurance money i went out and bought myself a new project. A 94 limited with a 5.2l, dana 30/35,a 2 inch budget boost, and a 249 with a bad vcc, 155k for $1200.
the night i picked it up

So the build plan.....
--already purchased--
IRO 5.5 inch long arm lift, douch tech shocks, JKS discos, xj long arm, and hack n tap SYE
249 to 242 or 231,( cant decide i have both in the garage cant make up my mind. leaning towards 242.)
Flat land 4x4 bumper plans (purchased)
Cragar 5 spoke black steel 16x8 wheels set of 5
Treadwright.com Guard Dog tires with Kedge Grip 285/75r16 set of 5

--future--
swap to a hi pinion dana 30 with axle sleves, c gussets, and alloy usa u joint tabs
swap to a rear 8.8
build storage with slide out drawers in rear cargo
thuroughly detail interior adn wash carpets and hopefully replace drivers seat bottom
install gps,dvd, stereo entertainment system to keep kids and women happy.
install cb
cut fenders as needed
cut out rockers and replace with tube steel like i did on my xj
add chasis stifening
add ofroad lighting above and below.

My ultimate goal is for this rig to be a aggresive trail rig/expo capable rig.

santa brought me some presents the day after xmas...
wheels

lift with hack n tap SYE

killing time waiting for parts to arrive i started on rear storage

and where ran out of energy. the plat form just sits on top of the wheel wells and fits inside the tie down points.

After running over the drunk, i learned that having my spare tire inside the veicle is a absolute no go. My full size spare 31 inch tire that was in the back of my xj was strapped down to prevent issues off road or roll over. but never thought of front impact. luckily my friends who were ridding with me earlier decide to take a cab to a different hotel. Because my spare came through my back seat all the way to the front of the back of the front seats. So it will go out back on a bumper mounted carrier.

To be continued...

Last edited by hansshanks; 01-08-2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typos
hansshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
hansshanks
Grand Rookie

lift kit loaded and ready to head to my sons step dads house to use his lift to install my lift

front end on

new upper track bar mount

new crossmemeber with long arm mounts

Time for the rear

dads little helper kept pulling the ladder and hammer out, said it was his favorite tool.

didnt take enough pics of the rear i was tired and working on it at 4am.

back on the ground at its new height.

first flex, best i could do with a floor jack and sway bars on front and rear

Needed to modify the pass side tie rod so i reinforced it after heating and bending

after teh kit install. I have a pretty gnarly vibe at 30mph and up. Took teh front drift shaft out to try and narrow it down. Def coming from the rear. My drive shaft is a long way out of the transfer case, so untill i can swap the tcase adn install the ahck n tap i wont be driving much. Today my tires showed up on my door step so once i am done here at the hopsital and the baby stuff settles down i can get back to the build.

I did get a chance to take it out for its first trip last weekend

my buddy brian and his wrangler

at the end of this trip apparently the motor didnt like 5 grand and no traction. blew the oil pressure sending unit apart and blue smoke and leaked like a siv all teh way home. 30 bucks later had it fixed.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
hansshanks
Grand Rookie

so now that the baby is home from the hospital i had time to put shoes on the GC. 285/75r16 guard dogs from www.treadwright.com on cragar 5 spoke steel wheels

After the install i needed to tes the snow traction of the new tires in the fresh snow fall. My buddies lawn was a willing test pad. He was suprised when he got home from work.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

You could have swapped in the hp30 from your XJ instead of having to do things twice, did you buy the adjustable version of the IRO arms to compensate for the change in pinion angle when you do swap it in?

If I were that cheap I wouldn't be driving a Jeep!
Utah_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
hansshanks
Grand Rookie

My cherokee was a 94 so the axle wasnt what I need. I need the 97 newer cherokee axle for hi pinion. And I bought the iro arns for the xj. So that when I put the right axle in ill have the right arms.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansshanks View Post
My cherokee was a 94 so the axle wasnt what I need. I need the 97 newer cherokee axle for hi pinion. And I bought the iro arns for the xj. So that when I put the right axle in ill have the right arms.
Actually, the 94-99 are all high pinion and have the larger u-joints. Before that they were also high pinion but had smaller u-joints and the even older models had the vacuum disconnect junk.

If I were that cheap I wouldn't be driving a Jeep!
Utah_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
hansshanks
Grand Rookie

We ll son of a. .. everything I had read said the the axle to get was a 97 and newer. So I didn't pull it. I pulled the transfercase
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
MilanJeep
Grand Junkie

Send a message via AIM to MilanJeep Send a message via MSN to MilanJeep

Your ZJ and my ZJ are twins...I think I saw you at Fred Meyer the other day.

I'm still in the middle of building mine though. I went with IRO LAs just like you except I am doing 7" and 35's. I also have a HP D30 out of an XJ with 4.10's and a Ford 8.8 with 4.10's, but I am building a 4 link for the rear which is what I have left to do.\

I think I've been wheeling with your friend in the blue Jeep at Robie Creek...he might know my friend Jon with the Jeep buggy (it's on 43's)
MilanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
hansshanks
Grand Rookie

oh this trip to robbie creek. yes my buddy bryan drives the blue wrangler. we are headed up for a snow club run today.

my old jeep is the white one in the foreground

Last edited by hansshanks; 01-13-2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
hansshanks
Grand Rookie

got to take teh jeep out for a shake down run today. did a little snow wheeling. had fun with the Idaho 4x4 club.

my jeep

an 04 rubicon with a 5.7 hemi swap

trying to climb

my partner in crime

my sons tire pressure checking technique

Sponsored Links
Advertisement