96' ZJ Transmission issue - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivetrain Tech Center
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Comanche County
Grand Rookie

Default 96' ZJ Transmission issue

Hello fellas,

Our 96' Orvis (5.2/42RE) shift points are off, but it is shifting through all the gears, reverse works, the OD button functions, and there is a loud clicking at low speeds just off idle that crescendos to a loud vibrating hum on the highway. It is especially loud at speeds above 30 mph when I let off of the gas and coast. If I put it in neutral and kill the engine it still does it also. I first thought this was a front axle CV issue but it seems to come from the center of the vehicle and I can feel it through the gas pedal. Due to the shift points being slightly delayed, I'm leaning toward a transmission issue.

My OBD-II scan tool doesn't show any transmission related codes.

Before I try the cleaning procedures here: http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40886, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any other self tests or DIY procedures to narrow down the cause before I take it into a tranny shop?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Comanche County is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
colojeep
Grand Rookie

I'm having problems with my 96 now . Yesterday drove to the store but on the way back it just dropped out of gear and I couldnt get it to go it was just slipping . I pulled over and turned it off then restarted it and it went into gear and drove a couple of blocks then the same again . This time I checked the trans fluid and it looked fine . so a few more blocks and it happened again . I was lucky to get it home without a tow truck now i worry that i cant even drive it . any ideas on what would be my issue would be greatly appreciated
colojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Forces
Grand Junkie

Does it show P error codes for a 96?
My wifes 00 had a trans error code when it was shifting funny and I replaced the part and it's ok now.
Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
colojeep
Grand Rookie

mines only showing error code 12
colojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Forces
Grand Junkie

It don't look like there are as many codes like the newer models have and I didn't even see codes for the trans on a 96 error list.
Maybe a dealer can connect and see more info I don't know.

12 If appears when terminals not connected and engine running, no signal between distributor and computer.
Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Comanche County
Grand Rookie

The only codes it's throwing are two purge canister codes. I didn't think that would effect the transmission. How can I read the transmission data stream? Is there a way I can read it either with a scan tool or PC?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Comanche County
Grand Rookie

Red face

Think I found the culprit. After all the u joints I've replaced I can't believe I didn't think about that. duh..... I guess the slight change in shift points had me thinking it was the transmission. I tore the front end apart today, removed both front CV axles, they were fine, but I did find out that one of the brake calipers was hanging on by one bolt and the steering knuckle threads were trashed. I initially thought that was the issue, so after ruining a couple of taps in the knuckle I went to the JY pulled a replacement knuckle and put everything back together, still vibrating. Got it home and noticed about 1/8 of play in the front drive shaft's double cardan joint. It took a while to free the front CV from the D30 but when I got it out I could see that the pivot ball in the DC was worn and the whole assembly grinds and barely rotates. So tomorrow I'll tackle that, I'm willing to bet that was the culprit. At least I was right about it coming from somewhere around the transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement