Rusty rotors - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Performance Garage and Street Tech
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
zj98lover
Grand Rookie

Default Rusty rotors

Went to tire shop yesterday for rotate and balance. Came across small problem never encountered before. Tires, wheels,brakes (and fluid), all OK, but noticed the tech using a wire buffer to knock excess rust off the rotor hubs. Asked his opinion on how to control that from becoming a problem. He said that maybe a light coat of grease would work. That sounded good, but I am leery because I don't want any grease to migrate to the brake pads to cause brake failure. Any suggestions on how to treat the rotors to control rust build-up?
My G.C. has served me well for 278,000+ miles and I take care of her as best as I can!!
zj98lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
BigClay
Administrator
Grand Master

In all honesty, I have never heard of rusty rotors... mine will get a slight rust on them if I don't drive a car for a couple days, but then once you drive it, the pads take care of the rust.

As far as oil... I wouldn't because that seems to me that it would decrease stopping ability.
waggy 44 front with chromo shafts and an Aussie; ford 8.8 rear with Dutchman shafts and a Detroit; 35" PBRs; Clayton long arms with 6" BDS springs; 4.88 gears; exo cage
Build thread - http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34548
BigClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
zj98lover
Grand Rookie

The rust was not on the brake pad area, it was on the contact area between the rotor hub and the wheel. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Rignerd
Grand Rookie

I wonder if some high temp paint would last beyond the first panic stop?
Rignerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
richusmc
Grand Rookie

I honestly would not worry about it, it is more common then you think. I have worked in several shops and see it all the time. Some companys put a light coat of paint on the rotor hub to keep it looking nice, and the tech at that shop was probably removing the rust becasue sometimes it will cause a very minor sqeak, but enough for someone to bring it back for a warenty job.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
kennyc
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj98lover View Post
The rust was not on the brake pad area, it was on the contact area between the rotor hub and the wheel. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.
Your tire guy was goin' the extra mile for ya.. he didn't really have to do that. I think it shows he cares about and enjoys his job. The 'tire monkeys' i've dealt with around here (i won't mention any names, but their initials are NTB) wouldn't even think about doin' that. Like richusmc said, wouldn't worry about it. Sooner or later you'll be replacing the rotors anyway.. no more rusty rotor. I spray a little WD40 or Liquid Wrench on mine whenever I have 'em off. Just so they're easier to get off next time.. that's mostly on the rear drums tho. Look at me just goin' on and on.. "That guy just likes the sound of his keyboard"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
zj98lover
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Your tire guy was goin' the extra mile for ya.. he didn't really have to do that. I think it shows he cares about and enjoys his job. The 'tire monkeys' i've dealt with around here (i won't mention any names, but their initials are NTB) wouldn't even think about doin' that. Like richusmc said, wouldn't worry about it. Sooner or later you'll be replacing the rotors anyway.. no more rusty rotor. I spray a little WD40 or Liquid Wrench on mine whenever I have 'em off. Just so they're easier to get off next time.. that's mostly on the rear drums tho. Look at me just goin' on and on.. "That guy just likes the sound of his keyboard"
Thanks for your reply and your right. There has been no performance problems, just cosmetic. I won't mention any names either, but I like to get "Discounts" when ever I can. Don't know if there is a "Discount" in your area, but they have been good to me over the years. Happy New Year and God Bless !
Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
johnsjeep
Grand Junkie

[QUOTE=kennyc;358779]Your tire guy was goin' the extra mile for ya.. QUOTE]

I agree, I like seeing techs do that and something I have always been taught to do when working on a customers car. I will usually apply a small bit of anti-seize to the brake rotor where it contacts the wheel and always make sure it gets a re-torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement