4.0 I6 vs 4.7 V8 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Big Ugly
Grand Rookie

Default 4.0 I6 vs 4.7 V8

OK I am sure this has been debated to death and with high fuel prices probably even more so but I am looking to get a WJ and want to know which engine I should go with. I know the 4.0 is more common, but the 4.7 is more powerful, and they both get about the same MPG. I am just curious as to which is the better engine. Keep in mind I want to run 35's. I am used to the old Full-size Broncos and f-series pick-ups
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
greenbean
Grand Rookie

I have ran several TJ's with a 4.0 6 and 2 Cherokees....I love that engine for the pure simplicity and it's ability if well maintained to run literally forever....

That being said I now have a 4.7HO 04 Grand and it puts a smile on my face with it's 60-70 more horsepower and equal or better gas mileage. (I am stock right now) I was amazed the highway mileage I would get on longer trips....around 20+ mpg....and that extra HP when you need it....too bad they never put it in the TJ's would have been a great small V8 for them....

Will
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
AndyZJ
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to AndyZJ

I have a 4.0L in a WJ and my mom has a 4.7L in her WK. I love the I-6 motor, as most Jeepers do, but drove the WK once and you can't beat the punch it has. Keep regular oil changes in that motor and it'll last a long long time too. I'd easily go 4.7L. For one reason is the torque you'll crave and two if you wanna ever do exhaust on it, the thing is a V8 and will sound awesome.

1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo- 3" Kevin's lift and 31" Goodyears on JK Moabs
AndyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
95_V8_ZJ
Grand Junkie

/\ indeed...
i switched out my 4.0 for a 5.2 in my ZJ, and i would do it again, and would pay double to get the extra torque... you realy cant compare the two. get the V8, it'll save you in a sticky situation, and will (with a good quality tune up and some simple add ons) get better MPG.
on 32s, MSD 8.5mm SC wires, stock Champions, stock y into flowmaster, and Mopar O2 sensor, i will (with the cruise set at 65-ish) get 20-22 mpg... i average 330 a tank, mixed driving, filling up when the light comes on.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
GreenMachine
Grand Master

imo the 4.0 is better at going slow, i.e. rock crawling, and the 4.7 will do almost everything else better, especially if the rig serves double duty as your primary transportation.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
volvite
Grand Junkie

4.7 is what you will want. 4.0 is respectable but the 4.7 will never let you down.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
greenbean
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
imo the 4.0 is better at going slow, i.e. rock crawling, and the 4.7 will do almost everything else better, especially if the rig serves double duty as your primary transportation.
Agree with above....The powerband is different and especially good when paired with the NSG370 6 speed in the late TJ's and JK's....1st gear and the 241or in 4lo....awesome....
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement