Rustys off road zj long arm kit - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifts, Suspension, Axles, and Steering
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
pojectzj4.0
Grand Rookie

Talking Rustys off road zj long arm kit

I have read for months about long arm kits I read thread after thread about Rustys long arm kit. Everyone talked about everything except rustys kit only one or two people actually had it most people where just hearsay bashing it. So i am going to be the test subject. I have currently ordered the 5.5 long arm kit and a sye kit with Tom Woods rear shaft. I also ordered the dana 30 weld on truss bracket and reinforced c's. I plan to run a 1 in puck on top of the kit and 33 12.50 15. I am excited to see what happens here. Not to mention this is my first project Jeep and the first lift kit i have put on personal vehicles. I have done some others for people on chevy trucks and dodge trucks but no jeeps and surely not my own. I decided instead of going short arm and working my way up to save the cash and go big or go home so this otta be interesting for me. I will post pics as soon as kit is getting installed so if anyone is interested the rustys kit i should have the project ready to go in about 2 months. I am also building homemade rocksliders that will serve as a sub frame stiffener also.. Fun Fun Fun for me i will let you know how this turns out.
pojectzj4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
85IrocZ-28
YETI - The Abominable WJ
Grand Master

The difference in ride and quality comes down to the joints and the shocks. Some kits come with great joints, others are not so great. Everyone has their own preference on shocks. I have an RK kit on my WJ, it is decent. I have replaced the joints. I love the ride of the springs and the shocks.

Keep us posted with pics, I look forward to seeing your sliders and how you tie them in. I have Iceland sliders which I love because I don't loose ground clearance. I will likely tie them into the subframe and brace a bit more later this year.
My Jeep won the war, your Honda mowed my lawn.
Check out my BUILD THREAD
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
djlarroc
Grand Junkie

Crap. I just posted this same question lol.. And I really did search first!

Well let me know how it goes. I may end up getting mine before yours, only I want to go w/the upgrade only and use JKS/IRO track bars and 4" springs.
djlarroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
dmarsingill
Grand Junkie

You will not need 6.5" lift to clear 33"s. I wouldn't put the 1" PUCKS ON THERE IF it were me.

Donald
dmarsingill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
JHW12084
Grand Rookie

I love rustys products. However......upgrade your bushings. I have a 3" lift on my xj with their forged flex joint lca's. The rubber bushings are shot. I thought my uca bushings were shot being that they are stock, but when i took off my lowers to tighten the flex joint, the rubber bushing nearly fell out. I installed these arms back in august and never got to do any wheeling with them yet. So ya cant blame it on the terrain or abuse i put it through. Also, a buddy of mine bought the 4" lift for his grand waggy and had the same problem. But he called up and complained and they told him he had to upgrade the bushings. That is my only complaint about the company, other than shipping costs. Good luck with the long arm kit though....and i wouldnt use the pucks either, too much leverage.
JHW12084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
djlarroc
Grand Junkie

I know a guy who has a rusty LA kit. It flexes and rides great, but again, the bushings suck.
djlarroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
pojectzj4.0
Grand Rookie

i dont want to cut the fenders thats why i was thinking the 1in pucks but when i put it on i will see what the clearance is before i buy the pucks. i need a new dana 30 from stock wheelin. so more money into the zj pit what lockers do you guys recommend i still have to drive this to work but only 15miles round trip any suggestions?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
JHW12084
Grand Rookie

I dont think you quite understand the theory of what i meant. The long arm kit i highly doubt you can put spacers under.... Its meant to tie in your frame and double as the trans crossmember. The crossmember your going to get is going to be similar to the original one you have, but is gonna be much longer where it ties into each frame rail. It will probably run a good length of the undercarraige considering it will be front and rear long arm. The pucks would be great if you kept the short arm to get good angles for driveshafts. If you have an sye you wouldnt need the pucks. As for your locker question.....aussie locker in the rear, and front a tru trac or selectable locker.... Thats just my opinion though. A friend of mine has a 89 fs waggy with an aussie in the rear and limited slip in the front and its ungodly and unstopable.
JHW12084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
pojectzj4.0
Grand Rookie

the kit finally got here 10 days shipping, not to bad for 10 packages this kit looks beefy
Will rustys send the upgraded bushings if they go bad?
is the tru trac and the selectable locker similar to the air locker?
i know the trutrac is a rachet locker right? but i dont know about the selectable locker
i decided after i seen the kit not to run the pucks
i am just waiting to do the install till i have another 200 for the sye and driveshaft kit but i also want to tie the subframe with 1/4in plate to reinforce it
then it on to building the ultimate dana 30 front with the truss kit and maybe the inside axle tube kit but i was wondering about how u change the axle seals with the weld in tube kit?
anyone know about these ? i will be starting the install in about 2 weeks
i will keep u posted with pics
James
Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
SirFuego
Grand Addict

The shot bushings are inherent to the radius arm front suspension that naturally binds during flexing. People running Clayton's run into the exact same problem about the bushings. Unless you limit your flex, you are going to go through UCA bushings pretty frequently.

I ran my Clayton's kit for about three years with the flex limited to just where the coil spring unseated and my bushings were still in good condition. Flex is overrated anyways -- especially when you are running lockers front and rear. I've yet to run into a situation where I thought "man I wish I had more flex". Sure my RTI scores aren't anything to write home about, but I'm more than will to sacrifice that for less wear and tear on the bushings and other components (such as shocks). Not to mention that the reduced droop also allows me to actually steer my tires when I'm flexed out on the trails.

Last edited by SirFuego; 03-17-2011 at 01:35 PM.
SirFuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
first time lift kit, jeep long arm, off road grand cherokee, rustys, zj lift