33's 7 in of lift on a ZJ, Anybody got pics?? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
primerk5
Grand Rookie

Default 33's 7 in of lift on a ZJ, Anybody got pics??

I know this kind of stuff has been asked, but I'm hoping for some pictures or something. I picked up a rusty's long arm with 7 in springs. I, like everyone else want to run the biggest tires I can. With that said, I don't want to cut my jeep up though, I'd like to go with little to NO fender trimming, and I stress no. I'm trying to determine If it were possible for me to run 35's and do greens and blues when trail riding. I really doubt it, IRO says to run 35's you have to trim with their 7 in kit. So I'm thinking 33's might be better. Now I'm wondering if this thing is going to look stupid with 7 inches and just 33's. but I'm thinking I will probably wheel better with the smaller tires without rubbing.

BTW: I'll be running an aftermarket rear and front bumper and 33 12.5 KM2's

It would be nice to run 35's though.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by primerk5; 02-08-2011 at 05:01 PM.
primerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
BigClay
Administrator
Grand Master

My guess is 7" of lift and 33s is going to look stupid. I am running 35s on 4.5" and did very little fender trimming, now I practically cut out the inner fender though.
waggy 44 front with chromo shafts and an Aussie; ford 8.8 rear with Dutchman shafts and a Detroit; 35" PBRs; Clayton long arms with 6" BDS springs; 4.88 gears; exo cage
Build thread - http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34548
BigClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
autowizard
Grand Rookie

Run the 35s and use longer bumpstops
autowizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
85IrocZ-28
YETI - The Abominable WJ
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by autowizard View Post
Run the 35s and use longer bumpstops
X2. 33's will look tiny with that much lift.

By the way, what rear axle do you have: The D35 or the 44HD (aluminum)?
If you have the 35, I wouldn't want to run larger than 33 inch tires anyways. I would put the LA kit on, and see if someone wants to exchange their 4.5 inch springs for yours.
My Jeep won the war, your Honda mowed my lawn.
Check out my BUILD THREAD
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
primerk5
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
X2. 33's will look tiny with that much lift.

By the way, what rear axle do you have: The D35 or the 44HD (aluminum)?
If you have the 35, I wouldn't want to run larger than 33 inch tires anyways. I would put the LA kit on, and see if someone wants to exchange their 4.5 inch springs for yours.
Right now I have a 35 in it, I do have a 44A to put in it but Its got a Aussie in it and I don't really want the back rear locked at all times. I'm gona have to save up for an E-locker for the front and back as I'm trying to keep this thing streetable.

As for the springs, what I got with the lift was 7 in IRO rear coils and front and rear Rusty's 4.5 coils with 2.5 pucks for the the front. I figured, if I were to run the 7 in coil's I would go and buy the 7 in front coils to go with it.

So basically I would have either option.

Guess I'm still up in the air a little bit, I just don't want to do any major cutting, (really don't want to cut anything at all) but I want to be able to go trail riding with this thing and I know the taller tires would help but so would articulation.

Thanks for your comments, more is appreciated
Old 02-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
autowizard
Grand Rookie

The taller the vehicle the higher the center of gravity, the higher the center of gravity the easier it is to roll on or off road
autowizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
primerk5
Grand Rookie

I found this pic which is basically what mine would look like on 35s

Here is what it looked like on 31's

I'm thinking 33's wouldn't be too bad. I'd have plenty of clearance which the 35's don't have.

What do you think?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
DankNesS
Grand Master

35s at least for that much lift... I'd say 39s. Its a blance of lift and tire size being the most you can fit to keep the cog low like was said. By the time you are ready for 39+ you will be on full width axles extending the width to help w cog.
W that said buy one tons bump stop and go 39s for 7inches. OR go 4.5 33s I'm at 5.5 35a and like that combo. Keep in mind we lift to fit bigger tires but flex or articulation has a lot less to do with up travel and a lot more to do with down travel. Any built rig this will be obvious. While it is helpful to cut crud out of the way and add a little bit of uptravel bumpstops are your friend and w them set where you want w no rubbing but a good amount of down travel you will be better off then smaller tires for a fraction more up travel. 33 vs 35 is two inches barely cut that in half cus one inch bottom one on top its not two inches all around. I'd take 35a one inch less uptravel. As far as cutting you can do a good stock looking first cut. Although once you pop your cherry more is bound to come lol. The pinch seam hammered in helps jus research fender trimming and see what you like.
Now as far as lockers E-locker upfront is a good idea- although a ton of us DD lunch box front ends w little complaint. But for the rear there is a VAST amount of lunch box lockers on the street as selectable lockers are close to 4 times as much! Now shitty(or good) for you there isn't any other locker available for the 44a except aussie- the best and out of production and one other I forget but who cares if you already have the best locker for that axle. Its not all crazy on road it might make some noise but if you drive it like a jeep and not a Subaru and don't gas thru turns who will hardly notice its there.
Lastly I love my 35s but re gearing is probably an excellent idea. 4.56 + IMO. I have DD ed it and wheeled it to much satisfaction on 3.73s w the 5.2... But I also did a ton of mods like headers cai bored and poliched TB custom headers mopar performance pcm etc etc to help roll them. Food for thought.

I'd also consider selling everything for a better kit but ima kRusty hater so pay I'm bias
i love that last vid of the decline into the pond. youve got more balls then i do...
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...t=DSCF2794.mp4
DankNesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
trailexplorer
Grand Rookie

Here is a fresh pict of my 5.9 w/ 7" clayton's LA with 35's. Just picked the tires up yesterday. Trimming definitely required.IMG_1190.jpg

Have since moved the front axle forward an inch and the rear back 1.125". Should tuck well with less trimming now.

Last edited by trailexplorer; 03-16-2011 at 12:22 AM.
trailexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
AndyZJ
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to AndyZJ

This is my old Jeep just after putting on the lift 7" springs with 33" MTR's. I moved quickly to 35's and only had to trim slightly. Don't waste money on 33's if you have 7" of lift to work with.

1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo- 3" Kevin's lift and 31" Goodyears on JK Moabs
AndyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement