ZJ 4.0/5.7 Hemi Swap - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
kriscoleman
Grand Rookie

Default ZJ 4.0/5.7 Hemi Swap

So, I have the straight six, and it's a dog. I mean, I thought our ford explorer with a V6 was bad, but this thing feels like a 4,000 lb four cylinder.

I bought my ZJ for a toy, and plan on going launching at the dunes with it, offroading, and two tracking. Maybe one day rock crawling.

From what I can tell, this inline 6 ain't gonna cut it.

I did a search on the forums, saw a post or two about the 5.2, but i really want to use the 5.7. There is a guy here in Michigan who has done it, the Rhino ZJ with a exocage. It's a great template to work from

however, I wanted to know if anyone knew how difficult this swap was? or if they knew there was a write up somewhere.

I also was wondering if perhaps there is a better swap I could do out there that may be easier.

I am also concerned about the transmission and 4x4. I have fulltime AWD right now.. if i do a swap with the tranny for the 5.7, is the newer Jeep that comes with this engine alltime 4wd? does everything mate right up to the body and frame or is fabrication needed? What about mounting the shifters in the tub, will those mate up or require more fabrication?

I'm a ways off before i start a swap. I'm thinking about trying for next winter, but any additional information I can come up with will help my years worth of research!

Last edited by kriscoleman; 10-08-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: fixed Noob Mistake
kriscoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
AGRANDADDICTION
Grand Junkie

Go pick up a 5-9er with the 360 V-8. There seems to be a bunch avail. right now for 5 grand and under, That is a lot less than your going to pay for this 5-7 swap. Plus, I think the 5-9er is better!

Here is an example;

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/1968528871.html
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41885

Last edited by AGRANDADDICTION; 10-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.
AGRANDADDICTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
kriscoleman
Grand Rookie

Thanks! i'm very interested in the 5.9 too. I'll look around for more info on the 5.9

Being a slight mopar fan, the idea of having a Hemi in my jeep instead of a Magnum is still tempting but realistically if the 5.9 is more cost effective and easier to install...
Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
tcar
Grand Addict

The explorer isn't an "inline 6". V6.

The new Hemi isn't. Not actually a Hemi, even though they call it one.

FWIW.

The 5.2 or 5.9 Chrysler motors would be an easier swap.
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
AGRANDADDICTION
Grand Junkie

Why don't you just sell the 4-0 and buy a ZJ with the 5.9L allready in it?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Super Moderator
Grand Master

pick up the 5.9, easier swap and it bolts in.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo, (RE 4.5 lift with 2 inch spacers), Super 35 with Detroit, Turbo City dual air inlet, Performance ECU, Magna flow, LP-1 Sliderz, 33s and 35 x 12.50 15s on 15x8s, addco F&R, rear bumper w/ tire carrier, skids, 4.56s, and ARB front bumper. - SOLD to CBatZJ...
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
kriscoleman
Grand Rookie

Thanks guys! seems the 5.2 and 5.9 are the way to go

@AGRANDADDICTION;

Because I can do a swap for about as much as i would want to spend on a nice 5.9 grand cherokee limited. my mechanic will do this swap for me really cheap, like 700. so if i can find a nice 5.9 w/ tranny for a good price at a salvage yard, or better yet, a wreck on craigslist, then i can have it done cheaper than finding a equivelent jeep w/ a 5.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
The explorer isn't an "inline 6". V6.

The new Hemi isn't. Not actually a Hemi, even though they call it one.

FWIW.

The 5.2 or 5.9 Chrysler motors would be an easier swap.

the new hemis don't have hemispherical heads?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
95_V8_ZJ
Grand Junkie

my 4.0 was amazing.. heres a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnoDtaeN1Yg but yeah i still swapped it out for a 318. 100% BETTER. I pulled the 242, 42RE, 249TC, all as one unit out of mine, did the same with the 318, 46RH, 249TC out of the wrecked ZJ and didnt look back. wiring isnt an issue as long as you stay in the same PCM generation. and FWIW, i still have my 4.0, i actually found an 89 Jeep Truck, just to throw it into.. i miss my 6.. but i love the raw torque of the Magnum V8.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
kriscoleman
Grand Rookie

I can't even get my 6 cyl zj to chirp the tires, let alone burnout

How did you spin just the rear tires? Can you go 2wd in your zj? Mine's only AWD

That video makes me question my engine. It runs fine, no knocking or anything, just a exhuast leak i gotta fix.. but i mean it is slooooow... my 0-60 is probably 10 seconds or more, and when I pass someone (with overdrive off mind you) I barely notice a difference in acceleration from half throttle to full WOT. In fact passing someone is more like asking for grey poupon...

Anything I should check or do? Considering it seems to be running just fine, I can't put together why it's as slow as it is.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
95_V8_ZJ
Grand Junkie

stock tire size on ur rig?? its harder to spin bigger tires. those are 31 BFG A/Ts in the vid, so it lost a lot of bottom end when going from a 26" tire to a 31", but it shifted into 2nd at the end too.... keep in mind that in that vid, it had a full 3" exhaust into a Flowmaster 40, MSD 8.5mm wires, NO thermostat, Champion spark plugs, bored out TB. but it also had 180K miles on it too. although, this is the only I6 ive heard that didnt have that lil knock/ tap at idle (commonly known as timing chain slap, or valve tap), it was very well maintained. i pulled the front driveshaft to do this. mine had the AWD tcase as well. remember this, 5000# brick shaped SUV, with a 242 cubic inch motor with about 80 hp going to the back tires. its a lil (A LOT) underpowered, but you can do simple stuff to wake these motors up, as you can see.
Advertisement

Tags
5.7, engine, swap