rough country 4 inch lift on wj? what size tires? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifts, Suspension, Axles, and Steering
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
rlewi09
Grand Rookie

Default rough country 4 inch lift on wj? what size tires?

hey guys i have a 2000 wj and i currently have a 2 inch rc budget boost and am wanting to go bigger of course ha. i would really like to get 285/75/16's but i dont know if the rough country 4 inch will fit with that big of tire. does anyone have the 4 inch rough country lift or know how big of tires you can get under there? also since the budget boost is just spacers could i put them on top of the 4 inch? if so what else would i have to have to compensate for the extra 2 inches? thanks guys
rlewi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
85IrocZ-28
YETI - The Abominable WJ
Grand Master

I am not sure about the tire sizes, but have concerns about adding the 4 inch kit + spacers. Hopefully someone else has done this and can chime in.

The rear A-arm on the WJ is my area of concern. The kit will most likely come with a spacer to compensate for the lift so that you do not max out the ball joint in the A-Arm. But that spacer is not 4 inches, it is just enough to work. With the spacers on top, you may max out that ball joint when the suspension articulates. If you want to go more than 4 inches on a WJ, I suggest looking at long arm kits that will replace that A-Arm with long arm upper control arms.

If you decide to try it, and others can recommend the 4 inch kit + spacers, make sure to get shocks that are long enough. If the shocks are included with your kit, they will be for a 4 inch lift, not a 6 inch lift. At 6 inches on short arms, the ride quality will suffer. I drove a ZJ at 5 inches on short arms. It isn't unmanagable, but long arms are a much better ride at that height.
My Jeep won the war, your Honda mowed my lawn.
Check out my BUILD THREAD
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
rlewi09
Grand Rookie

thanks for the input man. the onlyyy problem with the longarm kit is i am on a budget ha. i have a xj with a 5 inch lift and 33 inch km2's but im about to go to boone in august so i have no need for 2 cars. the wj will be a much more comfortable ride up to boone so i am selling the cherokee for 2k. so thats all i have to work with and im putting on a lift, tires, and wheels. but just curious how much did you pay for your 6.5? ur jeep is pretty sick man
Old 03-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Haymaker
Grand Junkie

4 inch lift with a 2 inch budget boost = 6 inches of lift on shortarms = mallcrawler rough riding joke of a rig.

Just put on the 4 inch lift, and you should be able to fit those tires, especially because they will be fairly skinny (most 33's are 12.5" wide, yours will be just over 11). You may have to trim the bumpers a tad bit but it should work

1997 Grand Cherokee- 5.9 swap, lifted
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
rlewi09
Grand Rookie

thanks for the input. i just dont want to stuff the tires under there and not have any flex but if thats the cheapest and best way to do it then i definitely will ha
Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
85IrocZ-28
YETI - The Abominable WJ
Grand Master

I would stay at 4 inches. In addition to bumper trimming, your tires may grab at the fog lights (if you have them) and tear washer bottle motors off when you are off road. I need to re-locate my washer bottle.

I bought this Jeep with the RK kit installed...sad I know, I prefer to do my own work. But I couldn't pass up the deal. If I had purchased a kit, I would go with Claytons because of the unibody re-inforcement. You are looking at just under 3k for a WJ long arm kit. They aren't cheap, but I would recommend saving for one if you ever decide to go higher than 4 inches on a WJ.
My Jeep won the war, your Honda mowed my lawn.
Check out my BUILD THREAD
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Pedro7
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewi09 View Post
thanks for the input. i just dont want to stuff the tires under there and not have any flex but if thats the cheapest and best way to do it then i definitely will ha
as long as you bumpstop accordingly you will be fine with flex. Those tires should fit ok as well. I would say just go with the 4" and leave it at that. anything more than that it will ride like poop on short arms and won't be that great on the trails.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
rlewi09
Grand Rookie

ok sorry im still getting used to this. what do you mean by bumpstop properly? i know what they are and where they go but which ones would i get if i wanted to put 285-75-16's on there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement