Jeep Dead, ticking under passenger dash?? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
bewkmw
Grand Rookie

Default Jeep Dead, ticking under passenger dash??

hello all, I hope that someone can help me with this issue. My girlfriend has a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd, and last night she called me from the walmart parking lot saying the jeep wouldn't start up, and that there was an odd ticking sound coming from under the passenger side dash. We tried for a good 20 minutes to 30 minutes to jump the vehicle with only the lights getting brighter and it sounding like it wanted to start but with no luck. So we called a tow truck, he swore it sounds like a dead battery so he hooked up his portable battery charger and within 30 seconds the car started. My gf got up for work this morning and the jeep started fine, she got to work shut the vehicle off and the ticking started again under the dash and she went to start the jeep again just to make sure it would start, and it was dead again?? we just replaced that battery within the last 2 years...any thoughts on what might be going on?? Any help greatly appreciated!!!
bewkmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
XR4TiBrian
Grand Rookie

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, replaced the battery and it was fine. When the engine is warm it takes more power to start the engine due to compression in the engine and whatnot. That is why it wouldnt start at the walmart you were at or when she got to work, because the engine was still warm... Replace the battery and you should be good to go.
XR4TiBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
bewkmw
Grand Rookie

Default question

any idea what that ticking is??
bewkmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
SirFuego
Grand Addict

Anytime you reconnect the battery, you need to reset the security alarm. That could be the culprit since a dead battery or loose battery cable could cause it to "think" the battery was disconnected then connected. The "ticking" could be from the flashers which are the indicator that you need to reset the alarm. It'll let you crank the engine, but it won't let you start the Jeep until the alarm is reset.

Are your flashers going, too? Did you lock/unlock any doors between the time your charging wasn't working and the two truck guy coming?

I can't remember how to reset the security alarm on a 98, but on a 93, it was as simple as locking/unlocking the tailgate or locking/unlocking the doors with the keyless entry.

I could be wrong, but I've had similar issues before with loose battery cables and a nearly dead battery. Just throwing it out there because the "ticking sound" was the first thing that made me think of it being the security alarm. Hope it's just as simple as a loose cable.

Last edited by SirFuego; 02-25-2010 at 08:35 AM.
SirFuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
zjsheller
Grand Rookie

I had this same problem last year in my '96. It seemed that I only had problems when there was alot of water in the forecast. Rain or Snow. After ALOT of investigation I found that there was debris under the valance just under the wipers. The water was wicking up the debris, over the firewall, and into the cabin via the heating/a.c fan. The clicking I was hearing was the relay going on and off. Even with the ignition turned off, my heater fan wanted to run. I had dead battery after dead battery. Not sure if its your problem or not, but you might want to lift that valance and check it out. Good Luck!!
zjsheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
tcar
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4TiBrian View Post
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, replaced the battery and it was fine. When the engine is warm it takes more power to start the engine due to compression in the engine and whatnot. That is why it wouldnt start at the walmart you were at or when she got to work, because the engine was still warm... Replace the battery and you should be good to go.
Sorry. That is just not true.

The compression doesn't change with temperature. Neither does 'whatnot'.

Harder to start when cold. The oil is more viscous, the battery has less oomph.

I second the security system. Or a bad battery connection.
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dead battery, ticking