wanting to lift my 97 zj, whats the best cheap lift ? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee - Newbie Forum
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
shswrestling152
Grand Rookie

Default wanting to lift my 97 zj, whats the best cheap lift ?

Its at stock height with stock wheels and tires. looking for a good 2-4 inch lift kit if i can find one online or on here. let me know if theres any good deals out there. Ive never bought a lift before so im not sure what brand or parts would be good, just makin sure i know a little before i buy the wrong thing.
Thanks,
Austin
shswrestling152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
frozenZJ
Grand Junkie

2" just go with a Budget Boost. Two inch spacers that go above the springs.

4" do a front to rear swap. New front springs, front springs go in the rear, find some shocks and bend the brake lines up at the caliper. Redrill the mount for the trackbar on the axle end over 5/8" of an inch. There is a writeup somewhere around here on this one.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
rtingdds
Grand Addict

that's a very difficult question.
I tried most of the cheap lifts before. The results were ..."cheap". And I hated them. Every cheap lift I had, I had them most likely for 6 months then ditched them. And I wish I had never spent those time & money. I guess it will depend on how crappy you are willing to tolerate the handling of your car. To me, any lift without maintaining or lengthening your wheel base will hammered the safty & handling of your ZJ. My ZJ is a daily freeway driver, safty is my #1 concern. So I am not sure what to recommend you. Sorry!
97 5.2;NP231,RE 6.5"LA;ACOS;Dynatrac D44/ProRock60 & ARBs;ARB front bumper/remote Warn/Viking line;KOR rear carrier bumper,rack,slidz,diff skit;RonDavis Alum radiator/E fan;Fitch Catakyst;FIPK;front SwayLoc & rear AntiRock;Kings;Hellas;Hi steer/brace/TomLee ram assist;4XD tank skid;35"KM2 beadlocked 5&5.5 lugs;Hushpower II;hood vents

Last edited by rtingdds; 12-24-2009 at 06:31 PM.
rtingdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
moultonr
Grand Rookie

I bought the Rough Country 4" lift this past summer and I recommend it. It comes with adj. control arms and everything else you need. I was in your same position and decided budget boost just wasnt worth it to me so I saved the extra cash. Its a great deal for the money and sets you up nicely for new bumper etc. due to the stiff shocks. You wont loose much height with the added wieght.
Thats my take, if budget boost works for you then go with that, but I found it really worth it to save up and go bigger.
moultonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
larry8946
Grand Rookie

I was told to stay clear or the rough country lift its is cheap!! I believe 649.99 but i heard it is really stiff and will ride worse then the stock suspension!!! Ironrock off road has really good prices and they are well known for there product!!! they have a 3.5" lift for 474.99 and they have a 2 4.5" one is 774.99 and the other is 1174.99. The difference being the premium package has a full set of control arms front and back. All their kits are upgradable later on and if you were to get the 3.5 and a set of flares you could run 33" tire or so is says with the flare packages. the bushwackers claim with a budget boost and the flare you can run 33s and the icelandoffroad claim with 4' of lift you can run 35s so i would say with those you would be safe to run 33s also with 2" of lift. This will also keep your centre of gravity low but still give you a nice tire size for offroad and off!!!! There site is www.ironrockoffroad.com

Last edited by larry8946; 01-02-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: link missing
larry8946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Leo89
Grand Rookie

What about not lifting it at all, saving the 750 bucks, and trimming the fenders to fit 32s.
Use the cash to get some wheels with less backspacing to minimize shock and control arm rub.
There's a lot to be said for this configuration, it keeps your center of gravity low and all the suspension geometry stock

No adjustable trackbars, longer driveshafts, adjustable control arms required = $$$$ in da bank.

You won't get much articulation, but articulation is overrated and usually totally unnecessary if you have lockers and axles strong enough to handle driving the vehicle through only one or two wheels (the ones that are on the ground) there are extremely capable ORVs that have little to no articulation. Maybe you've heard of this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9mtU-1mm9E

Check out this hombre's WJ - http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=267574 skip to post 11 to see what 32s with no lift and fender trimming looks like.

Ask yourself whether you really need that 3 inches of lift if all you want to do is clear bigger tires.
Leo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
Technohead
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry8946 View Post
I was told to stay clear or the rough country lift its is cheap!! I believe 649.99 but i heard it is really stiff and will ride worse then the stock suspension!!! . . . [/url]
Shocks are what typically make or break the ride quality. My guess is that RC lift just has cheap shocks. Makes sense that a cheap lift would have cheap shocks . . .

Why do you want to lift? If you are interested in read off-roading then there is nothing cheap about it. You are better off saving up for a complete lift that includes track bars, bump stop extensions, and quality shocks. And then throw in some skid plates and lockers. If all you are looking for is attention then why not just get some 20's and neon lights?
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
larry8946
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Shocks are what typically make or break the ride quality. My guess is that RC lift just has cheap shocks. Makes sense that a cheap lift would have cheap shocks . . .

Why do you want to lift? If you are interested in read off-roading then there is nothing cheap about it. You are better off saving up for a complete lift that includes track bars, bump stop extensions, and quality shocks. And then throw in some skid plates and lockers. If all you are looking for is attention then why not just get some 20's and neon lights?
Lol your last statement is so true!! But there are different spring ratings!! That's why old man emu has pretty much the best ride out there!! But they also only have a 2" lift and you have to add the budget boost to get the other 2" option and that's all they have! But really if your going to lift it, you might as well make it worth your money! I don't know the states very well but I know in eastern Canada and in new York state they use road salt! Go under your truck and look at your control arms! I know mine were shot! And the more I took out to replace with my new lift the more I notice, cracked bushings and the control arms were really rusted! My sway bar end links one broke while driving and the other snapped off when I tryed to remove it!! I would take a good look and see what you think should be replaced and then look for a lift or one that you can add to and replace the components!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
larry8946
Grand Rookie

Im not able to add what was posted but the info be leo89 is irrelivant he has added a you tube link for a military spec vehicle that comes stock with an on dash tire deflator and comparor to reinflate,beadlocks,snorkel ect! also this is a flat fendor which gives you and advantage right there! I could post links on how in the war they use to paddle willys across a river with a dingie sorrounding it!!! Also i have looked at his friends truck and read some of the post and hacking my bumpers to pieces and having to add a subframe to may rad doesn't seem like a good idea and there are companies that speacialize in lowering your vehicle for bigger tires!!!! i choose and would still choose to go wider with the added hieght!! The 32's on that vehicle are the stock width!!! Its seems like compramising saftey for tire size is what these guys are doing and i wouldn't concider this at all!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
larry8946
Grand Rookie

Im definitly not saying i know best at all. Im just saying the vehicle you posted is already set up to run stock. Also i really dont understand all that your friend has done. From what i read though there is alot of cutting involved and fabrication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1997, lift kit