What is the Normal Operating Temperature? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Grand Cherokee - Newbie Forum
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
jl2695
Grand Rookie

Default What is the Normal Operating Temperature?

I have had a 99 Grand Cherokee for about 6 months and it runs about 210
but yesterday the outside temp was 105 and occasionally in stop and go traffic it got up to 225 on the gauge. That's when I shut off the AC and it gradually went back to normal. I'm going to be towing my tent trailer this weekend for the first time with this Jeep and I'm wondering if it's going to be a problem. What can you experts tell me?
jl2695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
OUTCAST
I am a
Grand Loser

sounds normal.

tent trailers dont weight much, and as long as you dont spend a ton of time in stop and go you'll be fine.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Timex07
Grand Junkie

My ZJ runs 210 but will get up around 230 when I'm running it hard. Even then, it doesn't run much hotter than that. Stop and go traffic will heat things up, but on the highway you shouldn't notice much of a difference at all.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
CORUPTWJ
Grand Junkie

I had the same thing happen to my WJ. Basically your aux fan is not coming on. It is either the motor of the fan or the fan relay. Mine was the relay. Easy way to check is to wire the fan directly to the battery. If it comes on, it is the relay. The relay is located under some plastic the passenger side headlight.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
GrandmasterWJ
Grand Junkie

If you have a 4.0 in your WJ, the temp will be around 210-225. The 4.0's are designed to run that high. There is nothing to be alarmed about because that is normal runing temp for them. My 4.0 in my 2002 WJ runs about the same.
GrandmasterWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
hammerz71
Grand Rookie

Yep that's normal, you gotta expect a slight rise on a very hot day in stop and go traffic. I put a 16 oz. bottle of Purple Ice in the radiator every summer just when it starts to get really hot.
Since I've started doing that in the Jeep, the thermostat opens at 210 and then I watch the engine temp drop to about 202-205 and stay there. Not to mention it helps dissolve the crud that can make a radiator fail...
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement