31 to 32-inch tires - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
sharpm72
Grand Rookie

Default 31 to 32-inch tires

Two part question:

(1) How much lift does the stock Up Country suspension give you? I'm guessing around 2". With a two inch BB I'm hoping my ZJ has around 4" total, and that according to the popular tire fit chart I can squeeze 32's under it with "minor fender trimming." Hopefully the ARB bumper takes care of that in the front, the back might be tight especially on the forward edge of the wheel well.

(2) Any recommendations for new wheels to make this happen? I don't think the stock wheels can take a 32. Pretty sure they are only 7" wide and I'll need at least 8" for the BFG T/A KO 32". A good 8" or 9" rim will allow me to grow to 33" BFGs eventually.

I have BFG T/A KO 31 x 10.5 R15 tires on the stock canyon rims right now.
98 ZJ Laredo w/V8, Rocky Road 2" budget lift over Up Country suspension, 31" BFG ATs w/1.25" adapters, front discos, ARB front bumper, K&N FIPK, Mike Leach headers, Car Sound cat, Magnaflow muffler, 3" pipes, Kolak ignition, Mopar ECU
sharpm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
hokie98zj
Grand Addict

Send a message via AIM to hokie98zj

the up-country was something like .75-1" IIRC.32s are not a jump at all really from 31s so i would wait and go to 33s instead.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Technohead
Grand Master

You could probably fit 32's on the stock rims right now. Its going to be very close to the front of rear wheel opening but that is no problem since the tire moves up and back as the suspension compresses.

Out front the ARB should solve clearance issues at the bumper side. I think you will still have clearance issues at the pinch seam with 32-11.50's on stock wheels with the spacers. I'm running 32-10.50's at the moment and have about 1/4" clearance there when the wheels are turned and the suspension is compressed. Very, very close.

Don't forget to extend the bump stops. No matter how much you lift, when the suspension bottoms on the stock bump stops you are right back where you started from.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
sharpm72
Grand Rookie

Thanks Hokie, Techno. I will probably go: (1) new, larger rims with old 31" tires, then (possibly), (2) new 32's, then (3) 33's when I have time, money, and inclination for a proper lift. Probably about the time I have the dough for another Jeep for a daily driver!

In the meantime, how do I extend the bump stops?
98 ZJ Laredo w/V8, Rocky Road 2" budget lift over Up Country suspension, 31" BFG ATs w/1.25" adapters, front discos, ARB front bumper, K&N FIPK, Mike Leach headers, Car Sound cat, Magnaflow muffler, 3" pipes, Kolak ignition, Mopar ECU
sharpm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
hokie98zj
Grand Addict

Send a message via AIM to hokie98zj

i would save the money and skip the 32s.you can get steel wheels for around 200-250 possibly shipped.i think you could fit the 33s with some trimming and some hammering.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
SirFuego
Grand Addict

Unless your 31s are really worn, I can't see enough of an advantage bumping up to a 32. I just don't see the additional contact patch and 0.5" ground clearance making enough of a difference to justify the cost if your 31s are still fine. However, my wheeling is all east coast stuff which is pretty muddy by nature (and ATs are far from a "good" wheeling tire here). So I would try to get some input from Utah/West coast wheelers on whether it's worth it for the trails you want to run, before dumping money into 32s (especially since 33s are already in the plans).

You can extend your bumpstops by stacking hockey pucks on each other. Do a search for hockey pucks and I'm sure you'll be able to find more information on that.

Last edited by SirFuego; 07-10-2009 at 11:09 AM.
SirFuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
tintin
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
Unless your 31s are really worn, I can't see enough of an advantage bumping up to a 32. I just don't see the additional contact patch and 0.5" ground clearance making enough of a difference to justify the cost if your 31s are still fine. However, my wheeling is all east coast stuff which is pretty muddy by nature (and ATs are far from a "good" wheeling tire here). So I would try to get some input from Utah/West coast wheelers on whether it's worth it for the trails you want to run, before dumping money into 32s (especially since 33s are already in the plans).

You can extend your bumpstops by stacking hockey pucks on each other. Do a search for hockey pucks and I'm sure you'll be able to find more information on that.
You can get 3" front lower bumpstop extensions from quadratec, they are sold by Rubicon Express, or get the daystar front upper 2-3" extensions. I have teh RE ones and will fit them in the next week or so, just need to drill into the plate inside the spring and bolt them in. Easy.
tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement