Water pump on a 5.2 complete, what a B****!! (pics) - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
93zjbeast
Grand Junkie

Default Water pump on a 5.2 complete, what a B****!! (pics)

Trucks been out of comission for a week b/c i was just to lazy to fix and had other ways to get around. Today i said * it and went for it. I couldnt get the nut on the fan off so i took the waterpump, fan and shroud out as one unit.

Pops inspecting the damage lol
PIC 1

Removed PS pump, alternator, A/C compressor and mount. Started loosenig the water pump
PIC 2

What i was looking at right before i pulled the WP
PIC 3

Me wrenching (taken by the GF)
PIC 4

Water pump on, reasebly is loposite of before (der)
PIC 5

PIC 6

Now I have to take my fan off of the old waterpump!! im going to just take the whole thing to a shop, they have the tools to do it...
PIC 7

SO i replaced the Water pump with a high quality NEW unit. I replaced the T-state with a 180* premium. I installed a new bypass hose and got a new o-ring on the metal tube. Now its ready to rock n roll for a while! I just need to take my old assebly to a shop so they can take that stuborn nut off the old waterpump so i can re-install my fan, but i lust say... as long as u arent in steady traffic, it maintains a steady 180-190* temp. w/o the fan, im pretty impressed, and pick up is better w/o it on (electric fan neone [smilie=bal_cool.gif] )

Well, thats my story and im stickin to it.

-Phil
-No Cat, no chamber Magnaflow muffler
-Alpine Type-R 6.5" components
-2" BB waiting to be installed
93zjbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
hellride1975
Grand Junkie

Just to help out future jeepers, there are other easier ways to do this. 1. Buy the strap wrech which is required 2. use grade 8 bolts to lock up the fan assembly, the fan comes right off. I just did this two weeks ago, only had to take the shroud off to change out. Was fairly easy with the grade 8 bolts as a lockup mechanism. Just food for thought, unless you wanna take all that stuff off. Can be done in like 2 hrs, not busting azzzzzzz.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 AM   #3
93zjbeast
Grand Junkie

I coulda done that too, BUT you cannot get to the Bypass hose w/o taking off the bracket system...
Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
kevinc
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93zjbeast
I coulda done that too, BUT you cannot get to the Bypass hose w/o taking off the bracket system...
You mean the accessory bracket? Yes you can. There is a window in the bracket. I never had to remove the shroud either. What can I say, when I was young and stupid, I bought an Autozone replacement pump. Two of those later, and a shiny new Mopar part in hand, I was down to about an hour to replace the pump and all related things. Practice makes perfect. F Autozone reman parts. :roll:

Kevin
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
SOLITUDE
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to SOLITUDE Send a message via MSN to SOLITUDE

When I replaced mine, I had to remove the accessory bracket as well. But I left the Alternator and Compressor connected to it.

I couldn't get a good enough grip on the Cynch on the bypass hose to remove it. So... I'm with you. Took me about 3 hours to do it.

PS. You should pressure wash or get your engine bay steam cleaned. Makes working under the hood much more tolerable and pleasant.
SOLITUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
93zjbeast
Grand Junkie

I did clean under the braket, the rest i can clean whenever. It was actualy all realy easy, it only took 5 minutes to undo the alt. and a/c to get it off so why not. I did notice the hole in the braket to get the bypass hose off, but i hat to cut mine of with a razor, it was WAY past its prime lol... Also, the part i got is new, NOT reman, Duralast makes good parts, I have alot of those parts i put on friends cars and they all work like they should.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
6Banger
Grand Addict

i did mine and it took forever but it was worth it. i origional ask a mechanic for a quote and he want 350 just for labor. :roll: needless to say i did myself and learned something new

SOLD
RE 4.5 lift 32's/ Flowmaster/Mangaflowcat\Optima \
kcs'\ K&N
6Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
hellride1975
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93zjbeast
I did clean under the braket, the rest i can clean whenever. It was actualy all realy easy, it only took 5 minutes to undo the alt. and a/c to get it off so why not. I did notice the hole in the braket to get the bypass hose off, but i hat to cut mine of with a razor, it was WAY past its prime lol... Also, the part i got is new, NOT reman, Duralast makes good parts, I have alot of those parts i put on friends cars and they all work like they should.

FYI, I wasnt trying to say you did your pump the wrong way, was just trying to give a shortcut to anybody who has to replace their water pump in the near future. You wrench, therefore you are ok in my book. If it takes 10 minutes, or 10 days, you still got the job done. Well done.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
93zjbeast
Grand Junkie

Understandable, So i guess your bypass tube came off easy? B/c if it was stuck on at all, you would need to take off the bracket.... when i was cutting my old one off all i kept on sayig to my self was "my god i am SO glad i spent the extra $10 and got this little pos hose!!!"

I actualy feel kinda stupid in a sence cuz after i was ALL done i started the truck and it was leaking like b4. I couldnt belive it, i thought i forgot the gasket or something. Turns out the heater hose i guess it is thats right next to the thermostat houseing was ripped and leaking down the front of the motor, onto the waterpump, and spraying around the fan. I cut it right above the split, reconected it and it runs like new....I just keep telling myself that i DIDNT over look it and i actually needed the pump all along :oops:
Old 04-24-2007, 10:08 PM   #10
hellride1975
Grand Junkie

Was the pump the oem??? Probably not at over 100k, but who cares, one less thing to worry about. I had to permatex my timing cover about 4 months ago, had to take all that crap off because my timing cover metal gastket was pinched and leaking antifreeze. If I had know my water pump was going to grenade 4 months later, I would have changed it then, but who can forecast the future???????? My bypass hose was changed last year, think I got it out with some wd-40 and a screwdriver and some cussing with the bracket on. In retrospect, probably would have been easier to take off the bracket for that crappy worthless hose.
Advertisement