What are signs of bad cv joint front axleshafts - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivetrain Tech Center
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
JeepZJlover
Grand Rookie

Send a message via AIM to JeepZJlover Send a message via MSN to JeepZJlover Send a message via Yahoo to JeepZJlover
Default What are signs of bad cv joint front axleshafts

Got a clunk that i thought was bad ball joints but replaced left side ones. And that stupid clunk is still there and much worse. I was wiggling the cv joint around when i had it out didnt feel good to me but i'm use to my good ole trust ujoints. Definatley need some help here. By the way its a 96 Grand Limited, 4.0 auto, quadratrac, D 35 Towing package.
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
wildabeast4
Grand Junkie

i have a 96 limited and i had the same clunking noise. it is a broken cv joint and it gets inda pricey. make sure you fix both if you have two broken ones, cuz mine didnt start clinking till i ripped both cv joints.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
JeepZJlover
Grand Rookie

Send a message via AIM to JeepZJlover Send a message via MSN to JeepZJlover Send a message via Yahoo to JeepZJlover

if they do have to be replaced im going to get some ujointed shafts out of a junkyard
Old 06-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
paris
Grand Junkie

There's a fellow on eBay that sells brand new ZJ and WJ axles w/cv joints and boots for about $60.00. I've bought a pair from him and they're okay. he ships quickly too.

Check here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CV-AX...temZ8077237414
paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
leadgtrplayr
Grand Rookie

I bought these,$140.00 a pair,delivered.Well worth it.Ebay ad and Box says new BUT parts had a rebuilt tag on them?Not a big deal though,so far they are working great!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
cuserunnah
Grand Addict

may want to quickly check your double cardon drive shaft U-joint quickly first. *you may have a cv jointed drive shaft. If you have the u-joined drive shaft, get under your jeep, and twist the drive shaft with your hands. If you can see the play here, in either the cv joint or U-joint, it may save you the frustration of changing CV axle joints that are still ok.
1993 ZJ, 4.0 I6, F->R 4.5" lift: OME springs. ARB Winch Bar, Superwinch 32x11.50 BFG MTs on AR Mag rims 3.75 BS. Exhaust+flowmaster 50DF, NP 231, KOR tow shackles. Custom safari rack, 4x130 Watt roof mounted lightbar.
cuserunnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
JeepZJlover
Grand Rookie

Changing out the axleshafts is a pretty overall easy job.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
paris
Grand Junkie

I had a bad wheel bearing recently. It was making a swoosh swoosh sound and I had Death Wobble when I hit a bump or applied the brakes at ~ 40 mph. I got two new bearing assembles off of eBay and decided to replace the axles and CV joints at the same time, again with the parts I got off of eBay, the ones I linked to above.

I didn't think my CV joints were bad, but I had noticed a variety of odd sounds from the from end: a heavy dull clunk sound on slow left turns when starting out, a creek-creek, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, sound when making an extreme right turns as into a parking space. This last sound mimicked a bad power steering unit, which I knew was not the case.

Once everything was in place, all the sounds were gone, so I assume that my CV joints were going, and the sounds I heard were symptoms of that.
paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
JeepZJlover
Grand Rookie

That heavy dull thud clunk when turning left is a good description.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #10
pk
Grand Junkie

its probably the joint but also try the front swaybar endlinks. the stock ball can come out of that socket and cause a nasty clunk as well. easy diagnosis. open your drivers door and grab onto the roof and push and pull to rock your ride from side to side. if it clunks thats it.
pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement