Some input on the Wj knuckle swap for the ZJ - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivetrain Tech Center
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-18-2002, 11:21 PM   #1
Chris_L
Grand Addict

Default Some input on the Wj knuckle swap for the ZJ

I have seen some talk of the WJ knuckle conversion, and wanted to ad some info from Blaine.

The WJ knuckle conversion is easy to do. A lot depends on whether or not you are going to run a hub conversion.

If not, you have to get pretty creative with some things.

First, the reason for the spacer is because the centerline of the balljoints is different between the two knuckles in relation to the centerline of the axle joints. U-joints on one and a CV joint on the other.

Ideally the spacer should be 1/4" thick. That will bring the u-joints into the same axial line as the ball joints. That thickness will not work if you intend to register the unit bearing correctly and have the load carried by the registration and not the three knuckle bolts. There is no room for anything to go back into the knuckle.

The unit bearing has a machined surface or registration ring just behind the three bolt flange. It goes into the knuckle about .300. If the spacer has to be .250 that only leaves .050 to carry the load on the front axle. Not enough to make me feel comfortable. You can see the unit bearing and the machined surface below.

You can do one of two things to alleviate the problem. Space the bearing out further, or turn down the unit bearing to fit into the spacer. That is what I plan on doing for the vehicles that want to run bigger brakes and unit bearings. I am still solving the problem of the bolt pattern and thing it may be possible to just re-drill the full size '86 CJ-7 rotors to 5 on 4.5.

I am currently doing the R&D on this set-up to run Cobra brakes on the front of TJs. We will see if we have to bump up the rim size to accomodate.

Here is a pic of the spacer I had machined.

You can see that it goes into the knuckle and registers just like the unit bearing did.

Here is a pic of it in the knuckle-

ASM3 REAPER BUGGY
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...S_L_ROCKRIDER/
Chris_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2002, 07:21 AM   #2
NBaldwin
Grand Master

chris, since i am running the warn hub kit, does that make a difference in setting up the wj knuckles?
nathan
Old 07-19-2002, 07:44 AM   #3
Chris_L
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBaldwin
chris, since i am running the warn hub kit, does that make a difference in setting up the wj knuckles?
nathan
The small hub conversion kit [4 on 4.5} gives you wider track in the front, where as the larger hub kit {5 on 5.5} doesnt. It would be another 1/2" wider than you are now with the added spacers. There is also a brake conversion in the making right now. We found that a set of Cobra mustang front calipers {huge twin piston} will bolt directly to the WJ knuckle. Still working on the rotor.

ASM3 REAPER BUGGY
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...S_L_ROCKRIDER/
Old 07-19-2002, 01:10 PM   #4
Tyrel Beede
Grand Rookie

Sweet... cobra breaks bolt up! I can't wait to see the full report once it is done! Keep up the good work guys...

Ty
Tyrel Beede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:15 PM   #5
Mike_Lib
Grand Addict

Here's another write-up...

http://www.jeepsrus.org/tech/WJhubs/wjhubs.htm
Old 07-25-2002, 07:34 AM   #6

Thanks for the info Chris, I'm hoping to do this in the distant future!
Old 08-13-2002, 02:15 PM   #7
enloezj97
Grand Rookie

So if i am getting the warn hub conversion and i want to put the wj knuckles on it will i still need the spacers or will everything fit right.
Also do the wj knuckles have the separate tie rod and drag link mounts?
enloezj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 09:42 PM   #8
Chris_L
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enloezj97
So if i am getting the warn hub conversion and i want to put the wj knuckles on it will i still need the spacers or will everything fit right.
Also do the wj knuckles have the separate tie rod and drag link mounts?
You will need custom machined spacers and a cross over steering set up.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:20 PM   #9
enloezj97
Grand Rookie

I just bought the knuckles and calipers and I wanted to know what you thought of the spacers from Burnsville offroad. They make the spacer. I haven't seen it but it sounds ok. I would really like the ones that you made. They look really strong. I also wanted to know if there would be enough room to put a straight tierod and drag link with heim joints or would it hit my sway bar mount.
enloezj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:20 PM   #10
Chris_L
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enloezj97
I just bought the knuckles and calipers and I wanted to know what you thought of the spacers from Burnsville offroad. They make the spacer. I haven't seen it but it sounds ok. I would really like the ones that you made. They look really strong. I also wanted to know if there would be enough room to put a straight tierod and drag link with heim joints or would it hit my sway bar mount.
I have no experience with the spacers from bursville off road. The spacers shown above were made by a friend of mine, and he was one of the first to run the wj conversion on a HP44 in a TJ.

You can run a over the knuckle steering set up, but you will definitley need to cut and relocate your sway bar mounts. They will need to be moved up 2-3 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement