44RE cold 1-2 shift problem - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivetrain Tech Center
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
Kevin Stevens
Grand Rookie

Default 44RE cold 1-2 shift problem

Well, I checked the other transmission posts I could find, but this seems to be a different problem. '96 5.2, 99K miles.

When the ZJ is cold, and I'm driving below fast idle (like in a parking lot), the tranmission "hunts" between first and second. Put it in first and it's happy. Leave it in D and accelerate normally from a stop and it's happy. Let it warm up and it's happy.

I've never had a Chrysler product before, and this notion of manually adjusting the bands is news to me - no idea of whether it has ever been done by previous owner. Is this a symptom of the bands needing adjustment?

On a related note, if this band adjustment is a normal part of a filter/fluid change, where do I need to go to get that done? The normal oil-change guys have of course never heard of such a thing. Do I need to go to the $$dealer, or $$$AAMCO, or somewhere? I could do the external adjustment if I bought a low-torque torque wrench, but I don't have the facilities to drop the pan.

Thanks!

KeS
Kevin Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
Rockey
Grand Rookie

Check your ATF level with the car hot, idleing in nuetral.

03 CRF450R
Rockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:10 AM   #3
Toby42
Grand Master

Hey,

I have the same problem, but mine (same tranny) doesn't 'hunt' but jumps a little. It happens when it's cold more than when it's warm, though it does it every now and then if it's warm. I changed the fluid/filter and had no effect. So if you figure out how to fix it, let me know! Just though i'd let you know the fluid/filter change didn't help me.
Toby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
jeepfreak21
Grand Rookie

I have the same problem with my 42RE (behind 4.0), but it happens between 2nd and 3rd. Anybody have any ideas? Shift solenoid maybe?
Billy
jeepfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
Crazy5.9
Grand Junkie

I had a really hard 2-1 shift when slowing down, it feels like I am being rear ended! Turns out the tranny was overfilled by the dealer of course. They do this every time ???? So I just ended up draning the fluid by loosening the pan(slow and messy) and I make sure the tranny fliud is right at the full mark or the tranny will slip while making slow left turns if the level is below that. The pan leaks a little after this because of the gasket being disturbed. The pan bolts WILL strip if over tightened so be carefull.

Hope this helps.

Paul

98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Ltd K&N FIPK
Crazy5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
Lou C
Grand Rookie

BTW if you have an over filled trans and you want to drain some off get a marine oil changer (I use the Topsider) and it will suck trans fluid up the dipstick, no mess at all!! I use it to drain the pan as much as possble before removing for fluid changes.
Lou C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #7
Crazy5.9
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou C
BTW if you have an over filled trans and you want to drain some off get a marine oil changer (I use the Topsider) and it will suck trans fluid up the dipstick, no mess at all!! I use it to drain the pan as much as possble before removing for fluid changes.

Where do you get a marine oil changer? I have tried some lousey hand pumps in the dipstick tube with no luck.

98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Ltd K&N FIPK
Crazy5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
Lou C
Grand Rookie

Check West Marine or Boater's World. The good ones are not cheap but the cheap ones don't work good! The Topsider is a good one, about 40 bucks or so, you can use it for the trans and also the diffs as well. Tempo makes a good one too, the Topsider is more compact for crawling under the Jeep. On a marine engine (inboard) you can't just drain it in the bilge, so you pump it out the dipstick.
Lou C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement