What torque for the transmission pan bolts? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivetrain Tech Center
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:55 AM   #1
my95yj
Grand Rookie

Default What torque for the transmission pan bolts?

changed the fluid this past weekend and went to torque the pan bolts back down and set the torque wrench to 144 in-lbs like the chiltons manual stated, went to the four corners first, tightening all them down by hand first evenly, then putting the torque wrench to the bolts, the gasket starts coming out the side. Let dry overnight, add fluid next day and walk back inside, come out some time later and she is dripping fluid rather badly, so I did the whole thing again and this time I just have them hand tightened, till I could do a search on here, anybody's FSM say something different?
sorry so long, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
BlackDiamondBound
Grand Master

i did mine hand tight. i only used one hand to tighten so i did not put a lot of force on it, just enough so they wont rattle loose. that has worked good for me, no leaks. hope this helps.
BlackDiamondBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
my95yj
Grand Rookie

really??? just hand tight, seems like an expensive risk to just hand tighten them, but I am tired of taking ATF baths and want to be done with this maintenance.......
Old 06-14-2004, 01:01 PM   #4
BlackDiamondBound
Grand Master

hhaa sorry i dont know what i was thinking when i wrote hand tight :lol:

i ment using the wrench i tightend it only using one hand so not to put too much pressure on the bolts. i would put a bolt in and tighten it with the wrench not using any force till it stopped. then i tightened it 1 full turn to 3/4 of a turn , i did it on 3 jeeps and no leaks.
BlackDiamondBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
ViNcE-ZJ
Grand Addict

Send a message via MSN to ViNcE-ZJ

snug em up with the ratchet man. thats all you need. dont overtighten them tho...like u did with the torque wrench...chiltons is full of crap.
ViNcE-ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
Madd Ramm
Grand Junkie

Hey Wade....I think on my XJ I only tightened them down to like 7-11ft/lbs which is your 144 in/lbs. What type of gasket did you use? I use eiher cork or the new expensive one piece ones if they are cheap enough......

11ft/lbs or 144in/lbs is basically the hand tight and then a little more like these guys are saying. It is pretty much just like the oil pan gasket that we installed on your pan.

'87 XJ - '78 Ford HP D60 and D60 - Open/Welded, Leaf sprung front suspension
Madd Ramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Jim311
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to Jim311

I didn't use a torque wrench on mine either. You probably installed the gasket wrong or something if it was coming out of the sides. The torque specs on the bolts are worthless in my opinion.
1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo. Dynomax exhaust, K&N FIPK, Nice stereo, RE 4.5 adjustable arms, ORGS track bars, OME SS, 33 x 12.5 Trxus tires on 15x8 black steelies, and radiator relocation brackets with shackles.
Jim311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:30 AM   #8
my95yj
Grand Rookie

no worries, the hand tightening worked great second time around, first time the chilton's has lead me astray......
Old 06-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #9
white94zj
Grand Junkie

I was going to torque mine but I didn't have 1/4" extensions to reach in some places with the 1/4" inch pound wrench I have so I just did it snugly a couple times around. I have 1/4" to 3/8" adapters now so I will be ok next time.
I've been using the jeep chiltons for years and got a haynes recently and it is like night and day compared to how much better torque specs are displayed, pictures and ease of use.I have 3 other books for other cars and they are perfect but they failed on the jeep book(atleast for ZJs).
Haynes is MUCH better IMO.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:35 PM   #10
sraczka
Grand Junkie

Send a message via AIM to sraczka

12 ft lbs.

1979 CJ7 258ci 6cyl, 1988 XJ 4.0L, 1993 ZJ Laredo 4.0L.
sraczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement