Success....Cobra Brakes on WJ knuckles - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-24-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
Chris_L
Grand Addict

Default Success....Cobra Brakes on WJ knuckles

Finally, I rounded up enough spacers, rotors, knuckles and was able to accurately mount the low profile Cobra Mustang dual piston calipers onto the WJ knuckles.

Here is the clearance you wind up with when stuffed into a 15" rim with the Warn 4.5 hub conversion. I need to double check the backspacing on this wheel, but IIRC it's 3.75. It is a cast wheel so I need to double check it with a MT with 4 9/16's BS. I am fairly certain it will work just fine.

Here is a rear quarter view. This is being used with the 02 Ford Sport/Sporttrac 4x front rotor.

Here is the back side view showing that the bolt spacing on the saddle for the Cobra calipers is identical to the WJ bolt spacing on the knuckle.

The combination of spacers I used perfectly centers the rotor in the caliper saddle and the Ford rotor is the same thickness and diameter as the Cobra rotor.

Finally, the dual piston caliper is a PBR and is a very high quality aluminum caliper normally found on high end brake conversions or more notably as OEM Corvette binders. :thumbsup: {thanks to Mr.blaine}

ASM3 REAPER BUGGY
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...S_L_ROCKRIDER/
Chris_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
Raacerx
Grand Addict

Send a message via AIM to Raacerx

Chris, I love you. Can I have your baby? I happened on a great deal for a pair of PBRs literally today, and even though Im incredibly low on cash I couldnt pass it up. I figured theyd be easy to sell if it didnt work, however I remember you saying long ago in a WJ knuckle swap thread that they fit. I however assumed you meant with Cobra rotors since they are 5x4.5. However I thought that would need a 17" rim.

I have one question. Can I run redrilled WJ rotors or the 5x4.5 Sportrac Ford rotors on my regular ZJ D30 hubs with the WJ knuckle so I can keep my 5x4.5 bolt pattern all around? Are WJ D30 hubs different then ZJs or can ZJ hubs just bolt up? I was under the impression this was indeed possible, but I wanted to double check. I cant afford a Warn hub set right now because I dont want to dump much money into this D30 but I want to carry the WJ knuckles onto my next axle. Thanks much for making me a stoked dude.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #3
hssss
Grand Rookie

I'm just about to do the same trick but would like to retain the 13" rotors from the Cobra. the following web site has discussioin on which hub to use

http://www.jeepsrus.org/tech/WJhubs/wjhubs.htm

I assume that you followed the procedure to use Wrangler hubs. What axle shafts did you use?? I'm looking for both the improved, over XJ, brakes and better steering geometry. Any help appreciated.
'87 YJ lots done more to do
'41 Willys PU/TJ lotts of stuff including
blown small block
Cherokee/Exploder axles
700R4
stretched cab and frame
hssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
jwbronco
Grand Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jwbronco

You could try rotors from a 98 or later Ford Crown Victoria which are almost the exact same size as the WJ's just with 5 x 4.5 and they are 2mm thicker and 12.15" in diameter as opposed to the WJ's 12" but everything else is within a mm or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raacerx
Chris, I love you. Can I have your baby? I happened on a great deal for a pair of PBRs literally today, and even though Im incredibly low on cash I couldnt pass it up. I figured theyd be easy to sell if it didnt work, however I remember you saying long ago in a WJ knuckle swap thread that they fit. I however assumed you meant with Cobra rotors since they are 5x4.5. However I thought that would need a 17" rim.

I have one question. Can I run redrilled WJ rotors or the 5x4.5 Sportrac Ford rotors on my regular ZJ D30 hubs with the WJ knuckle so I can keep my 5x4.5 bolt pattern all around? Are WJ D30 hubs different then ZJs or can ZJ hubs just bolt up? I was under the impression this was indeed possible, but I wanted to double check. I cant afford a Warn hub set right now because I dont want to dump much money into this D30 but I want to carry the WJ knuckles onto my next axle. Thanks much for making me a stoked dude.
99WJ 4.7 Kolak exhaust, HO cammed, K&N intake 180 degree thermostat. BB and 245/75r16's (315/75R16 MTR's waiting along with 8" valley springs, ARB front bumper and Trailready rear bumper and new Kevin's Sliderz and Roof Rack)
jwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement