What happened - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Crasher
Grand Addict

Default What happened

In the last two weeks, there has been only 26 comments on this ZJ/WJ site. Back when I was building my ZJ, it was very active with a number of people exchanging ideas. What happened? We moved on to a buggy and a modified LJ, but the ZJ is still a great off road rig. Are there no new people getting into the sport or has the economy hurt the sport too. Just wondering??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
ULTMTZJ
Grand Rookie

I hope there are people still here to help. I'm just getting started with a ZJ build for DD and light trail riding. Got my 2" lift coming. Can't wait to get to work.
ULTMTZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
CNTLOSE
Grand Junkie

This site has been dead for years. I just logged on for the first time since August of 2014. Seems like the most active ZJ place is on jeepforum.com

Old 12-24-2015, 05:41 AM   #4
slowcrawler
Grand Junkie

Yeah I know its becoming more difficult to find a good ZJ with good bones to start a build, junkyards seem to have better in shape ZJ's then what I have seen folks trying to sell theirs for, besides ones like Crashers (sweet rig). I searched for weeks for my latest one for my son that we are going to build together for him and its the most I have paid for one that was bone stock. Plus we are in a society today that wants instant gratification (ie push button parts to have a shop install everything) taking out the imagination of when we look at ZJ and think I can do this or that and rolling up our sleeves and doing it as we see it. That is what has always been the most fun to me. Getting dirty to build your own rig, learning as you go and getting to know your own Jeep inside and out, why I bought one for my son because I want him to learn those skills, traits and build his confidence over time to know his own Jeep and go "I built that" . Its a fading skill. Everyone seems to be jumping on the JK wagon (no offense to those who own them) and gobbling up every aftermarket part known to man and bolting it on to where they all start looking the same, boring, I tell folks you can be a sheepeople, buy one or you can be different break the mold and build a hell of a Grand rig for a 1/10th the cost that could burry a JK. So I will get off my soap box somewhat but I believe that's why Grand Jeep forums seem to be dying.

Last edited by slowcrawler; 12-24-2015 at 05:49 AM.
slowcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #5
BigClay
Administrator
Grand Master

Traffic has been very slow for a few years. A lot of the previously active members have sold their ZJs and moved on to other vehicles. I wish they would come back and spread some of their knowledge to the new ZJ owners.
waggy 44 front with chromo shafts and an Aussie; ford 8.8 rear with Dutchman shafts and a Detroit; 35" PBRs; Clayton long arms with 6" BDS springs; 4.88 gears; exo cage
Build thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BigClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
CNTLOSE
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcrawler View Post
Yeah I know its becoming more difficult to find a good ZJ with good bones to start a build, junkyards seem to have better in shape ZJ's then what I have seen folks trying to sell theirs for, besides ones like Crashers (sweet rig). I searched for weeks for my latest one for my son that we are going to build together for him and its the most I have paid for one that was bone stock. Plus we are in a society today that wants instant gratification (ie push button parts to have a shop install everything) taking out the imagination of when we look at ZJ and think I can do this or that and rolling up our sleeves and doing it as we see it. That is what has always been the most fun to me. Getting dirty to build your own rig, learning as you go and getting to know your own Jeep inside and out, why I bought one for my son because I want him to learn those skills, traits and build his confidence over time to know his own Jeep and go "I built that" . Its a fading skill. Everyone seems to be jumping on the JK wagon (no offense to those who own them) and gobbling up every aftermarket part known to man and bolting it on to where they all start looking the same, boring, I tell folks you can be a sheepeople, buy one or you can be different break the mold and build a hell of a Grand rig for a 1/10th the cost that could burry a JK. So I will get off my soap box somewhat but I believe that's why Grand Jeep forums seem to be dying.

I agree...all the way society is going. I am almost 40 and learned everything from my father. I continue to learn from him on every vehicle I buy. I have had this ZJ for 4 years this month and I still love it. I am the second owner and bought it all stock. I have not went as crazy as I wanted to with it, but that is because I also have a '90 Mustang GT I like to play with. The one thing good about these, like you mentioned, is the JY's are full of them and good parts.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
CNTLOSE
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
Traffic has been very slow for a few years. A lot of the previously active members have sold their ZJs and moved on to other vehicles. I wish they would come back and spread some of their knowledge to the new ZJ owners.

Hopefully they will get nostalgic and buy another one down the road. Just like the Fox Body Mustang, eventually everyone comes back to their original love.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Crasher
Grand Addict

I hate to see the ZJ fall be the wayside. A friend of mine near our AZ home is going to buy my ZJ so he can get to the next level. He's 75 years old. While I was cleaning it out, I again had second thoughts about selling it. Everywhere I look on it, I see a part of me in it. It was a fun and rewarding build. However, if you spend much time in the southwest running the hundreds of available trails, it's easy to catch a disease I call "Wanna do more". Hence, my ZJ has been replaced with a stretched well built LJ on 40" tires. We are about to leave on a three week motor home/Jeep wheeling trip into Johnson Valley (King of The Hammers), Parker, Havasu, Table Mesa, and Florence. Many of the trails are "5" rated and just beyond what a ZJ can do. Most of us (12 Jeeps) are in their late 60's to early 70's (that's me) with one guy 84 and he runs a buggy. I guess as the years went by, no one told us we were old, so we play hard. :-)
Old 01-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
Kriswood3
Grand Rookie

New member but old love for the ZJ. Following this post i have to agree that there is more diverse traffic regarding the ZJ on jeepforum. I was inclined to join the site due to it being specifically for grand cherokees, but im a bit bummed out due to the lack of postings in recent months.
Kriswood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
BLACKZJ
Grand Addict

I stop in from time to time and don't see much activity either. I think I posted a similar question last year. I see there is a few active pages on FB, a few of them remind me of this forum 10 years ago. Lots of kids lookin for $100 12" lift solutions and some veterans that share some of their knowledge and experience. I see hundred of those "how big a tire....." posts there too. Funny how these younins that were born into the internet can't use a simple search function. I too miss the days of hundreds of posts, some flamers, some informative, and some that were gettin hardcore. The hardcore guys that moved on to the site they started over at Mallcrawlin.com seem to be pretty quiet these days too. Our ZJs will soon be gone the way of the old CJs, harder to find one that isn't butchered beyond repair or rusty enough that it turns into a wallet emptying black hole. I have both a ZJ and a WJ, ZJ wins hands down as the better of the two in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement