Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

WJ Front Chromoly/U-Joint Axle Conversion

15K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  surfseller06 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I Thank so''' You can keep every thing and'' there 30 splined axle shafts ,so this can be every Good

#4 · (Edited)
The 30 spline axles will also require you to get a 30 spline locker. That's great and everything -- and probably not a problem if you were looking into getting a locker anyways. But if a shaft does break (it still uses the 760x u-joints that aren't indestructible) you have nothing to replace it with (assuming you don't buy two sets) since the best warranty does nothing for you on the trail. At least if you stay with 27 spline, you can still slap in a stock shaft to get you home.

If you do manage to break a chromo shaft, it will likely be one or more of the ears due to u-joint failure. The next most likely (or perhaps the most likely) thing to break will be something internal (R&P, crosspin, and/or carrier).

The reason I mention this is that even if you do upgrade to the 30 spline, it's likely that additional strength won't really help you much because even 27 spline chromo shafts would be "stronger" than your u-joints and internals -- so those will probably give out before the shafts regardless of spline count.

Yes, it is worth it, IMO, to upgrade a D30 to chromos as opposed to going with a Dana 44, but it comes down to a matter of preference. If you break u-joints on a 30, you are going to break them on a 44. You can beat on a properly built D30 with chromos pretty hard (at least on the east coast) before anything gives out (I know from experience) -- but don't expect to wheel KOH-style with it. Yes, a 44 is stronger than a 30, but whether it's strong enough to justify swapping out a D30 depends on your situation and preference.

If these were for a ZJ, I'd suggest dropping the extra coin on the RCVs, but the non-standard width and need for tone rings probably puts custom WJ axles from RCV well above the cost of these shafts.

#9 ·
the best warranty does nothing for you on the trail.
There does not seem to be any warranty at all on the IRO shafts. About a year ago, I had an extended conversation on this with IRO and the manufacturer they use. If this is important to the purchase decision, ask a lot of questions.

The RCV shafts can be made for a WJ (I spoke with this manufacturer too) for $100 per shaft customization fee. That means about $1100 for a set.

All that said, I still may get the IRO shafts. I just wish they could get the volume up to where they could be sold for maybe $600 per set.

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
True. But those come with the Spicer ones. You are going to shell out good money for a set of aftermarket u-joints -- such as CTMs. The big issue though is that not all of the aftermarket u-joints are streetable without shelling out for lockout hubs. The CTMs use brass bushings instead of needle bearings which aren't very happy on the street with unit bearings. The Longfields might be streetable since they are supposedly a heat-treated, beefed up Spicer joint, but I don't know.

Just something to keep in mind.

EDIT: I hope you think I'm not deterring you from buying the WJ chromo axles. I'm sure they are as good as any u-jointed chromo axle. Of course, seeing as WJ 30 options are pretty limited when it comes to shafts, I'd be just as excited as you. Just trying to throw some ideas out there so that you don't buy something that leads you to spending even more money if you don't need to.

#7 ·
No No !! Not at all'' I'am very excited, and Thanks very much for your Imput'' your ideal about the 27 spline shafts , was very good, Good Ideal''' I do thank these shafts are a little spendy, and for the only Chromo shafts, on the market for the WJ D 30's, But I know some one that makes front drive shafts for everything'' {But the WJ,} So I thank he's going to be very interested in thses shafts, and maybe I can get the same for a little cheaper ? well ''we'll see'' and Thanks Sir Fuego''

#8 · (Edited)
I just got the Chromoly/U-joint shafts from IRO recently..I found out the shafts they use are infact d44 chromoly shafts. So whether you stay with 27 spline or go 30 spline, they will still be the same diameter of a d44 with the benefit of being chromoly and having U-joints.

#10 ·
Is'nt the D44 front drive shafts for, lets say the TJ shorter, and the JKs D44's are longer ?? Then how are you going to get those shafts in a D30 for the WJ ?? did any one forget to mention, that no one has any spec's on the WJ D30 shafts, and the Dana Gods of D30s dont want any one,to have the spec's , so with that beening said, Dana has'nt released them, so why are these out there ?? and there sure that they will fit the D30s - How''''' I want to see some Pics !

#12 ·
Did you buy these shafts'' or plannd to ? would you please do a how to write up on these shafts, an take pics of the install step by step, I'am very inrested to see how things turn out, plus the install pics will help our readers, and me too''

#13 ·
Stock Shafts??

Why would you want to put new axles in your jeep? If you break a stock axle then I would put a stronger axle front and rear. You would be a real Thrasher if you break a stock front axle without a locker installed? Unless your puting out BIG ponies...........My Opinion.....35yrs ASE tech:eek::eek:

#14 ·
It is possible to break a stock axle when running larger tires, even if you have a stock motor. This happens quite often when you are on the rocks, and there are several pics of members on this site that have broken axles.

The cromo shafts give you a bit more strength, and can be a good upgrade. Although some people may prefer to wait until something breaks before replacing it, it would not be fun to be stuck on the trail somewhere changing the axle shaft in the dirt.

Yes, it is better to upgrade to a stonger overall axle, but this option is better for many people on this site that don't have the fab skills or cash to change out the entire axle. AND-these have U-joints, not CV's.

#15 ·
If RCV's can be had for $1100 a set,that is the way to go IMHO. Those ARE guaranteed against breakage and the TJ/JK have had them for a while now and they run about $1000 for those. Bobby Longfield originally came out with the RCV's and stood behind them for the TJ version up to a 38" tire....no questions asked. JK axles would be good too but that is a ton additional cost unless you get lucky and find a set cheap. I wouldn't waste a ton of money on a D30....you ultimately still "polishing a turd"

#16 ·
cromo axles

Has anyone on here installed these axles?? I purchased a set of 30 splines from Ironrock for my 04 overland (quadra drive) and they just don't work... My problem is (I think) that if you look side on the upper and lower ball joints are not inline there off centre like around 20 degree's ( I looked at a TJ with uni's and there in line vertically) my jeep drives fine in a straight line but as soon as you turn steering wheel the uni spinning one way fights against the rotation of the steering knuckle. I'ts hard to explain but have had no joy.Also the ABS light lights up and the brake's are none exsistent. Anyone have any idea's???

Mark..

#17 ·
Has anyone on here installed these axles?? I purchased a set of 30 splines from Ironrock for my 04 overland (quadra drive) and they just don't work... My problem is (I think) that if you look side on the upper and lower ball joints are not inline there off centre like around 20 degree's ( I looked at a TJ with uni's and there in line vertically) my jeep drives fine in a straight line but as soon as you turn steering wheel the uni spinning one way fights against the rotation of the steering knuckle. I'ts hard to explain but have had no joy.Also the ABS light lights up and the brake's are none exsistent. Anyone have any idea's???

Mark..
This might be a dumb question but did you swap out the quadra drive LSD for a locker to acomidate the 30 spline shafts? if not the problem could be your using 30 spline shafts with a 27 spline LSD. Or if you did swap in a 30 spline locker, the shafts you have should be NON quadra drive shafts since you would have replased the QD with a 30 spline locker.

#19 ·
Well if you have a 30 spline ARB with 30 spline shafts, It might indeed be you got the wrong shafts. I would call and make sure you didn't get the quadra drive shafts instead of the non-quadra drive shafts. thats the only thing I cound think of.

#20 ·
IT DRIVES..... Ironrock tone rings were my problem,The tone rings that come with the Ironrock axles were sh%*t, really sh%*t. they sent the ABS sensor crazy. they looked like they were cut by a blind man. they even had the wrong number of teeth on them. So I had to get an engineer to alter mine to fit the wider diamiter axles,put them in and woohoo it drives. also had to make my turning circle less cause at full lock the uni's would bind.I will be taking photo's to send to Josh at Ironrock to see what he say's. Not real happy that when you buy an axles upgrade from a company and it's not right.Any way will see what Josh has to say.
Mark

#22 ·
Yep, thats what mine looked like... Have a look at your factory one's and you will see what I mean. Good luck getting yours to work. I will try and take some pics of mine and post up tomorrow, Also I will show you where the uni's hit on them selfs at full lock before we changed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.