Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Nates 4X4 Bumpers? Any thoughts on Quality?

8K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  shayne_354 
#1 ·
I have a 96 ZJ I have been working on and have been hunting for bumpers. Right now Nates 4x4.com has one for $415, this is a low price and it looks like a good winch bumper. Does anybody have any experience with Nate products? Good or Bad?

#2 ·
I dont personally, but my brother in law had one on his xj. It looked great. However he had the slim bumper on his which is what made it look good. In my opinion the one for the ZJ is way to big. It might be because there picture is on a stock ZJ though. As far as quality it worked well for him. hope this helps a little. And if you get one put up some pics.

#3 ·
Nate's Bumpers

I know this is an old post, but I live in the town where Nate's is located and was recently rear ended in my ZJ. So I am looking for a rear bumper that falls into the price range of a stock unit(my insurance is paying). Nate's was the only one I could find in that price range and from the pics, I don't like it. I was planning on calling and making arrangements to go see the product fist hand. Are you still interested in what they have?

#4 ·
I've got the winch bumper and love it (that's my silver ZJ on the product page). Plan on getting the rear one eventually. It's kinda plain, but my stock one doesn't tolerate being smashed on rocks very well, LOL

#5 ·
The front looks good. The only issue I have with it is how will it fit the 96+ grill? You have a nice rig tho. Like I said, I need a rear and would love a Hanson, but not at that price! Thats why I'm looking at Nate's for a rear. I guessfor the money it's pretty good. Again as far as the pics on his site go, yours is the only finished one shown. The raw one on a stock ZJ just looks cheesy. I wonder if a little body filler and paint to match would help. Mine is my DD and trail rig. Mostly State land type trails, no real rock piles around here so looks are still important!

#6 ·
the front bumper mounts to the two little oval-shaped holes in the stock bumper brace (just outside the black brackets in the pic). You just have to widen the holes a little bit
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DirtyRat/Jeep ZJ/lift party/SAM_0786.jpg
There is a similar setup for the stock rear bumper so I'm gonna assume the mounting brackets will go in the same place for the rear.

#7 ·
I had a Hanson on my 93ZJ & just replaced it on Friday with one from Rock Hard 4x4 Parts. They started making ZJ parts late last year, front & rear bumpers, rock sliders, skid plates. They are similar to the parts they make for XJ's. I found out about this at EJS in April. 4WD Hardware has them in the summer 2011 catalog. Neither the company or 4WD has anything about it online, but the company can be called direct. They were very good to deal with. I like the quality of the Rock Hard bumper over the Hanson. The whole thing with the tire carrier is $1000.00 + freight. It's pricey but it should last the life of my ZJ.

#8 ·
For Sale?

So is your Hanson take off for sale? If so, how bout a pic nd price?

#9 ·
The Hanson bumper that came off my ZJ is already gone. The shop owner wanted it so he could modify it for his Eagle wagon. It was 4 years old and the powder coating was shot to hell, & it was starting to rust pretty bad. I would not recomend Hanson rear bumpers for any ZJ.

#10 ·
Thats a shame. They look great from what I've seen. All the angles make it look better then most. Not so plain looking. I did go to the site for 4WD Hardware and ordered a catalog so I can get a look at what you have now. I did see some bumpers on ebay that a guy in Kentuky is making for ZJs. They look good rom the pics he has, both front and rear. I would drive down and pick them up if I bought both. Who knows, maybe he would meet me part way.

#11 ·
I did see some bumpers on ebay that a guy in Kentuky is making for ZJs. They look good rom the pics he has, both front and rear. I would drive down and pick them up if I bought both. Who knows, maybe he would meet me part way.
I just met with him this weekend. Really nice guy. He gave a discount for picking them up, instead of shipping. I would say he has the best thing going for ZJ's. Can't beat the price and the quality.

#12 ·
Great.. I'll give em a call as soon as my insurance co. gets back to me with numbers. Did he include install hardware?

#14 ·
As an update. My insurance co. stuck it to me! I wound up going with the Nate's 4x4 rear bumper for both price and availibility. Its built like a tank and fits pretty good. Not the faciest out there but I burried it 3 days after getting it on and had to winch it backwards by the bumper. It pulled right out and nothing so much as budged on the bumper. Unlike others, it mounts directly to the frame and not the rebar under the plastic. This is much more solid then others, just not as pretty! I'm happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.