5.9 Limited Time Machine!! - Page 2 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
mkm5
Grand Rookie

This is the Charger 500 that has the same exhaust note as the 5.9L ZJ!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C500-1.jpg (191.2 KB, 7 views)
mkm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #12
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

Not sure what the American term for the joint is , but it is a ball joint with a rod/hole through the centre which is held in a split cup mounted in an arm, so it can freely twist

http://www.nagca.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1487967155

http://www.nagca.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1487967155
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP1001.jpg (55.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CP1000.jpg (43.0 KB, 5 views)
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
jeepz
Grand Rookie

hi there!

Nice story about your niner! it becomes rare to find a good with few miles on it.

you are talking about "advance the timing 15 degrees".

do you mean you did that yourself? or is that typical for the 5.9?
jeepz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
mkm5
Grand Rookie

With regard to the timing, what I've read is they advanced the timing 15 degrees and added a performance ECU which resulted in the "Premium Fuel Only" requirement!

I'm going to do a tune-up this weekend and check timing and spark advance, although it runs really strong as is!

I haven't gotten a bit of spark knock although running a variety of premium fuel and octane boost, so I'm thinking maybe the initial timing got backed off from the stock setting.

My '69 Charger 500s 440 Magnum could tell the difference between 93 octane or "anything" below that, and I had it tuned in on spot, even using a vacuum gauge while driving to adjust timing advance with and without load!
Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 AM   #15
jeepz
Grand Rookie

I have plugged in my OBD2 reader recently and found the following values (nice app called DashCMD). + 40 degrees, this value is seen with normal duty, when i lift my foot of the throttle the timing changes to +15-20 degrees or something. Is this normal?

And what did you do with your memory oiutside mirrors? did they go wild when unlocking your car? because that is happening with my mirrors and I am wondering what to do about it!

another question, whtat kind of spark plugs do you use?
jeepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #16
mkm5
Grand Rookie

Yeah, I'm not sure about your absolute numbers on timing or which engine it is, but timing advances under load and retards on decel. That's what the vacuum and centrifugal advance do to help keep the spark optimal. This is where ignition "fine tuning" comes into play, as after the initial or basic timing is set, performance can be more finely adjusted through the two advance systems.

For the memory mirror issue, I just stopped using the key fob to unlock the door; if I lock it manually with the door switch, when I use the key to unlock it the settings remain unchanged. If I use the fob, the mirrors go off in some unknown setting every time which I consider a real safety issue, and should have been recalled.

I've used Bosch plugs for a long time as they were standard in my 4.7s, and one-off on top of that, so not much choice there!

I haven't swapped these plugs out yet in the 5.9, but I will stick with the factory recommendation with maybe an upgrade to a better brand if need be.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #17
rdemastus
Premium Member
Grand Rookie

Hello I just bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 limited myself but its sad i bought it without a title jeep came from police impound the alarm is in lock out mode witch sucks but i did get the jeep to run on starting fluid. It was bought for parts so i can clone me 1998 5.2 limited. Any way i see from you pics that someone swap out your grill and hood. im keeping the hood vents but i already have the 5.9 grill in my other jeep. if your interested in any parts that im not using like the grill in the same color as yours let me know i can take pics for you. Randy
rdemastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #18
mkm5
Grand Rookie

Yes, I'm interested in the parts, please send pics!
Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-19-2017, 01:04 AM   #19
WJson
Grand Rookie

Congratulation on your purchase your ZJ looks so clean! I will always love the 90s design
WJson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement