Grinding sound in all gears but park - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivetrain Tech Center
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
03GCL
Grand Rookie

Default Grinding sound in all gears but park

I've looked for a few hours last night and a few hours today as well and have not found anyone with a similar problem to mine. I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Selec-trac with 196K miles. Had been running and driving fine when I got home. Went to leave again about 30 minutes later and got about a half mile down the road and heard a whining noise and thought maybe the power steering pump was going out but as soon as i went to pull over i heard a very bad, very loud grinding sound. Went to put it in park and it stopped completely. Shifted back into drive and it started grinding again. shifted through all gears, even neutral, and it would grind. I tried to limp it back to the house and it all of the sudden lost all power to the wheels. Just kept reving up every time I'd hit the gas. Had to put it in 2nd and it finally kicked back in and I made it home. Checked the fluid level and it was good. Shifted through 2HI, both 4HIs, 4LO, and neutral on the TC and it was all the same. I'm assuming the trans is shot at this point but wanted to see if I could get a second opinion.
03GCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
PierreF
Grand Rookie

Sounds bad, did you find out why it was doing this?
PierreF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
03GCL
Grand Rookie

Nothing yet. Been so busy with working overtime and other things going on. I'm diving into it today with what little time I have.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
CopperCrawler
Grand Rookie

Before you decide it's the transmission, have someone get down there and find out exactly where the noise is coming from. We had a customer in the shop the other day that said he thought his trans was shot. Upon our diagnosis we found out it was the transfer case. The slider was worn out and wouldn't stay engaged...
CopperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
03GCL
Grand Rookie

I got back under and it does seem like the grinding is coming from the back instead of the front like I previously thought. I know the lines to and from the cooler are completely clear and the pump seems to be working. Also I did see where the plastic retainer for the 4wd selector was missing. Not sure if it'll cause any of the problems I'm having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCrawler View Post
Before you decide it's the transmission, have someone get down there and find out exactly where the noise is coming from. We had a customer in the shop the other day that said he thought his trans was shot. Upon our diagnosis we found out it was the transfer case. The slider was worn out and wouldn't stay engaged...
Old 05-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
03GCL
Grand Rookie

For those still wondering......I had the jeep towed to a shop because i'm working way too much overtime to deal with it. They dug into it and turns out that the reverse gear is completely gone. First and second gear are completely gone and third and fourth are on their way out. I'm assuming that one gear broke off and jammed into the rest to cause it to kill that many gears that fast. Just gonna have a re-man trans put in and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement