Hi Guys, here is my 1/4 million mile niner! - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Rigs, Trips, and Events > Your Jeep Grand Cherokee
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
1997Cobra
Grand Rookie

Default Hi Guys, here is my 1/4 million mile niner!

Hello all! I've been lurking on here ever since I bought my Niner, which is now getting close to a quarter million miles! Figured I'd toss up some pics and start a build log. The thing is 100% stock right now, no rebuilds on any part of the drivetrain. How do I know? Bought it from the original owner, and have all the receipts for maintenance and service!

The day I bought it!

and the trouble spots

not too worried about that stuff right now though. I have a tiny trans line leak, which I plan on fixing soon, and installing a good sized cooler and filter in the process. my exhaust is also leaky. plans for that are a set of summit racing shorties, custom down pipe into a 3 inch exhaust with a borla stinger muffler and probably a high flow cat to avoid a CEL. Has anyone tried using a regular set of shorty headers?

These are the headers i was looking at. I figure for 150 its worth a shot

Last edited by 1997Cobra; 07-23-2013 at 06:35 PM.
1997Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Grand Master

Headers? The only headers that'll fit are Doug Thorley ones and you'll need to check out Kolak on JF to get some.

Thorley only makes them in small batches.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO limited.

94 5.9 Laredo, (RE 4.5 lift with 2 inch spacers), Super 35 with Detroit, Turbo City dual air inlet, Performance ECU, Magna flow, LP-1 Sliderz, 33s and 35 x 12.50 15s on 15x8s, addco F&R, rear bumper w/ tire carrier, skids, 4.56s, and ARB front bumper. - SOLD to CBatZJ...
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
1997Cobra
Grand Rookie

I read somewhere that someone made them work. I have pretty much an entire fab shop in my garage, so modifications to a set of headers is not a huge deal. Im looking at roughly 550 for an entire exhaust, instead of 7-900 just for headers. That is including vbands, a good collector (2.5inx2, 3in out), and vband clamps. Im also contemplating making my own set.

On another note, going to try to get the cobra out of the garage today, she had a long trip to Mustang week in myrtle beach (im from michigan). Long story short, bought a t56 magnum, which costed me $3k for the trans alone. Well, It sprung a leak on the way down to myrtle beach. Not cool.

After that's fixed, the niner will be rolling into the garage

Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
1997Cobra
Grand Rookie

Still haven't got around to the exhaust work, but I did fix my trans leak. I installed a fairly large oil cooler, and the necessary fitting to wire in a trans temp gauge.

Here is a few behind the scenes pictures. I can't recall what I picked the trans cooler out of, but a full size bronco seems to ring a bell. Cost me $17 at the junkyard. I flushed it out and plumbed it in.

Here you can see that I took the original fitting and tube, and bent it 90 more degrees.

Fittings for the B&M temp gauge that has been sitting in my garage for somewhere around 4 years.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

Looking good, just keep an eye on engine temps with the larger trans cooler blocking airflow to the radiator.

If I were that cheap I wouldn't be driving a Jeep!
Utah_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
1997Cobra
Grand Rookie

Yep, I always keep a good eye on that. Also, notice the completely missing fog light, I bought 2 of the same side at the junk yard :doh
Old 09-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997Cobra View Post
Yep, I always keep a good eye on that. Also, notice the completely missing fog light, I bought 2 of the same side at the junk yard :doh
I may have one in the garage, let me know if you are interested.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
1997Cobra
Grand Rookie

Really? how much? pm me!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997Cobra View Post
Really? how much? pm me!
I looked and it's for the left (driver) side. I may have a nice pair of both sides but they aren't cheap.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
1997Cobra
Grand Rookie

That's fine, there was about 50 of them at the JY last time I was there. I'll just snag one next time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement