Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

bolt in-rollcage

23K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  awol93 
#1 ·
I searched around and found several members here who have built their own rollcages. I have also found a couple of weld-in types online. My question is...does anybody make a bolt-in for a ZJ? I mean actually FOR a ZJ not an XJ cage that can be modified. Not having any luck yet :(

I know a custom guy who said he can build one, and he does great work but he's pricey and he's never made anything for a ZJ. I don't want my Jeep to be an expensive guinea pig, ya know?

#3 ·
The only thing I have found that is bolt in is for the Cherokees, which works for me since I own both a ZJ and XJ but I wish someone would make a blot in style for the ZJ.

#5 ·
^^I assume that one welds in, right? For some reason my bf thinks he needs to strip the interior out for a weld-in but I doubt the bolt-ins are attached to the plastic and/or carpet, LOL.

OK so how would an XJ cage need to be modified? Or does it depend on the cage manufacturer? Sorry I am mechanically ignorant, my bf just told me to dig around for a cage. I told him to just keep the rubber side down and not worry about it ;)

#7 ·
THANK YOU conedog! I'll pass that info along and keep my fingers crossed. Although that particular vendor is in CA and I'm in TN, shipping may be a real beeyotch.

#8 ·
i would spend the extra money and go with EORs cage..they are a local shop for me (nashville, tn) and not to far from you in memphis plus Jimmy (the owner) does some great work..planning on putting that cage in my 5.9 at some point

#9 ·
IIRC the EOR one is bolt in from what I've read about on other boards, but it's easy enough to pick up the phone and call them real quick to verify. Another thing to consider with the "production" cages, is that they usually come with the bare minimum and the "options" you can get with them (additional cross-bracing, harness mounts, etc.) can add up really quickly if you want them -- possibly to the point to what a fully custom cage would cost just as much.

How big are you? I've read a lot of complaints about leg and headroom from the EOR cages.

I went fully custom with my roll cage -- but my rig was also so beat up that it was in my best interest to cut out as much sheetmetal as possible (which is why it turned into a buggy).

#10 ·
I'm about 5'2 and my bf is just over 6 ft.

I emailed Allen about the Rockhard seen on Pirate and he says they do indeed have them. Like $845, plus shipping. I looked on the RockHard website and found a dealer in KS, which is a little closer and emailed them about it too.

I'll look into the EOR one a little further now...

#11 ·
I have been thinking about a roll cage for awhile now. I actually have a buddy that had an internal cage in his ZJ and he cut it out before he sent the body to the crusher. Even though that cage was free, I decided to pass on it and save my money for an external cage. My main reason... comfort. I am a little over 6' and weigh about 280, so I wheel the ZJ because it has a lot of interior room. I am afraid the internal cage would make me feel like I was in an XJ. Many people think an external cage is ugly, me I don't care.

#12 ·
does anybody manufacture an exo? I figured they were all custom.

#13 ·
UPDATE:
Allens Offroad does have a bolt-in cage for a ZJ for $845 + truck freight from Nebraska. I ordered one yesterday and it should be here Friday or Monday. Yeah I know the weld-ins are cheaper but this is the one my boyfriend wanted, so it's the one he's getting.

The website is under construction right now but you can email them at sales@allensoffroad.com Customer service is excellent and he always got back to me within a few hours, even on the weekend.

#15 ·
Post up some pics when you get it, and write up a review. I am interested to see how it looks/functions. Thanks for the info btw!

#17 ·
well here it is, all painted up and ready for installation on Saturday.

my boyfriend was sooooo surprised to actually get this!

#19 ·
Looks like there isn't a spreader over dash.. I'd add some triangulation, behind the seats especially. Its a great base tho and easy to add to later. You must be a kick a girlfriend! Cool gift

#20 ·
Pretty much the windshield is bordered on all sides by the cage. The cross-bar you can see on that angled piece on the right goes across the top of the windshield and there is another cross-bar just out of frame goes across the dash.

This cage didn't come with horizontal bars behind the seats, but we can add those later.

What totally cheezed me off, is that the RockHard website didn't list anything bor a ZJ at all, but the RH catalog that Allen's offroad included had all sorts of stuff in it. Bumpers, spare tire carriers, etc... I had tried contacting other RH retailers before about pricing some items, but none of them answered their emails.

#21 ·
installed. My bf took these, I'll get more detailed pics of the legroom issue later

#25 · (Edited)
Catalog says Fall 2010 on it but it's still not listed on website: www.RockHard4x4Parts.com
email: sales@rockhard4x4parts.com
Dealer locator: http://rockhard4x4parts.com/order.html
the phone number for ordering is 308-750-4690 but I didn't know this or the website until I got the catalog from Allen's Offroad in CA 530-620-1100 sales@allensoffroad.com Allen's was the only dealer to respond to an email so I went to him with my questions. I don't know if anyone else has a different selling price but everything ships from the warehouse in NB anyway.

pics I took today:
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DirtyRat/Jeep ZJ/roll cage/

#26 ·
thats pretty sick,im gonna get one for mine over the summer,i'd much rather have the bolted in one than a welded one even thou the weled one is stroner and strudier just my preference. Your def wife material for gettin that for your bf good lookin out:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.