Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Adjust parking brake??

16K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  WXman 
#1 ·
I searched, found nothing...

I just picked up a '96 ZJ from a friend. One thing I need to do ASAP is adjust the parking brake. It currently does not hold the Jeep at all. I do know that all the brake pads are new, including the shoes for the parking brakes. So I am assuming the cable just needs adjustment. Is this correct or is there another common issue with these Jeeps? Any tricks on how to adjust it??

#3 ·
Listen to Gaze adjust the rear brakes first, then if needed you can get under the vehicle and adjust the e brake cable thing

heres a pic of it

#4 ·
Can you use a screwdriver to reach in that hole on the backing plate, or do you have to have one of those brake adjustment tools?

#6 ·
OK...in that picture that Swoop posted....I tried to turn that nut and it won't turn at all. It has been soaking in WD-40 for a few days and still wouldn't turn. I guess it's going to take some more force to turn that puppy.

So anyway, I'm going to forget that for now and start by adjusting each cable at the shoes like you guys say. So we'll see what happens tonight when I get a chance to do it. Does your parking brake hold your Jeep well?

#7 ·
Just FYI the reason I took that pic is cause I couldn't adjust the one I had it was rusted solid. So I pulled one at a junk yard and through it up under there.

#9 ·
And FWIW, the instructions in the Haynes manual on how to do this make NO sense whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.