Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

94 ZJ Intake plenum pan gasket replacement

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Boris 
#1 ·
I am going to replace my plenum pan gasket soon and wanted to know if any of you have any suggestions or snafus to look out for.

I have the excessive pinging under load and excessive loss of oil even though the engine does not smoke. 251K miles on the clock. I plan to replace the oil pressure sender and cap and rotor while it is more accessible with the intake out.

TIA

#3 ·
I did the M1 replacement and water pump on the Dakota and with breaks and some challenges it took me about 8 hours. This was not my first under-the-hood I would suggest just disconnect the wires from the sensors but do NOT drain the fuel rail. I just gently folded the entire injector harness, fuel rail and vacuum harness back and secured them to the fire wall. Definitely get yourself a factory service manual if you don't have one and follow the directions to the last detail. Like Papromike suggested get new bolts and that billet plenum gasket.

Good luck!

Travis :thumbsup:

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the gasket replacement kit with the bolts from Tenafly. Not sure if they will take the part back so I can get the Hughes cover. Anyone know if they will? I have not gotten the order yet and could call them and ask for it not to be shipped.

What is the problem with the OEM cover that it has the gasket blowing?

#5 ·
It is very think and expands and contracts at a diff rate than the manifold. If you knew someone that welded aluminum then I would suggest have them weld on a plate of 1/4" aluminum plate to the bottom of the intake and eliminate the gasket entirely.

When I get a GC I am seriously considering the M1 even if I loose some low end torque. Much rather have that then the ^%$&% plenum go bad.

T :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.