Adjust parking brake?? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivetrain Tech Center
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
WXman
Grand Junkie

Default Adjust parking brake??

I searched, found nothing...

I just picked up a '96 ZJ from a friend. One thing I need to do ASAP is adjust the parking brake. It currently does not hold the Jeep at all. I do know that all the brake pads are new, including the shoes for the parking brakes. So I am assuming the cable just needs adjustment. Is this correct or is there another common issue with these Jeeps? Any tricks on how to adjust it??
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Gaze
Grand Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Gaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I searched, found nothing...

I just picked up a '96 ZJ from a friend. One thing I need to do ASAP is adjust the parking brake. It currently does not hold the Jeep at all. I do know that all the brake pads are new, including the shoes for the parking brakes. So I am assuming the cable just needs adjustment. Is this correct or is there another common issue with these Jeeps? Any tricks on how to adjust it??
The general rule of thumb is to adjust the parking brake on the rear brake shoes, not where the cables come together under the center of the vehicle. I'd suggest picking up a Haynes manual. The pictures and instructions in there are clearer than anything I've been able to track down on here.
Gaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
swoop95
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to swoop95 Send a message via Yahoo to swoop95

Listen to Gaze adjust the rear brakes first, then if needed you can get under the vehicle and adjust the e brake cable thing

heres a pic of it

Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
WXman
Grand Junkie

Can you use a screwdriver to reach in that hole on the backing plate, or do you have to have one of those brake adjustment tools?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
wjcando
Grand Rookie

If it's pretty much like the WJ, I found that a screwdriver or one of those little paint can openers the paint store gives away (beer bottle opener on other side ) works just fine.
wjcando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
WXman
Grand Junkie

OK...in that picture that Swoop posted....I tried to turn that nut and it won't turn at all. It has been soaking in WD-40 for a few days and still wouldn't turn. I guess it's going to take some more force to turn that puppy.

So anyway, I'm going to forget that for now and start by adjusting each cable at the shoes like you guys say. So we'll see what happens tonight when I get a chance to do it. Does your parking brake hold your Jeep well?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
swoop95
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to swoop95 Send a message via Yahoo to swoop95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
OK...in that picture that Swoop posted....I tried to turn that nut and it won't turn at all. It has been soaking in WD-40 for a few days and still wouldn't turn. I guess it's going to take some more force to turn that puppy.

So anyway, I'm going to forget that for now and start by adjusting each cable at the shoes like you guys say. So we'll see what happens tonight when I get a chance to do it. Does your parking brake hold your Jeep well?
Just FYI the reason I took that pic is cause I couldn't adjust the one I had it was rusted solid. So I pulled one at a junk yard and through it up under there.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Preppi12
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to Preppi12

Lots of heat will be your friend to get it broken loose. I let mine soak for a couple days when I adjusted mine but I ended up having to get it cherry red before it would budge.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
WXman
Grand Junkie

And FWIW, the instructions in the Haynes manual on how to do this make NO sense whatsoever.
Advertisement