Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Re8300 - zj extreme-duty long arm 4.5" 1994 ZJ

56K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  ppowlls 
#1 · (Edited)
I have created this new thread since I left the Fulltraction build which did not go as plan due to Full Traction taking FOREVER to build their product. Yes you Fulltraction. 6 WEEKS waiting and still they were not able to turn it over. You lost your business to Rubicon Express!
http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34222

So the Fulltraction Ultimate Suspension for my 94 ZJ V8 did not go as plan from 4wheel Parts. so after having a long talk with my local Jeep Solutions Long Beach installer. They have persuaded me to the Rubicon 8300 4.5". However my springs will be at 3.5" since I don't want it too high. The following parts is finally underway below

1. RE8300 - ZJ EXTREME-DUTY LONG ARM 4.5" (Ordered 3.5" springs on this)

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/SuspensionSystems/Product.aspx?part=RE8300

2. SYE Slip Yoke Eliminator UPDATE: No longer NEEDED

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/JeepParts/Product.aspx?folder=JPDS&part=RE1898

3. Slip Driveshaft - UPDATE: No longer NEEDED

4. NP242 Transfer CASE from my stock NP249
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/transfer_case_replacements_and_parts/np242.html

5. Shocks. Almost forgot this part. UPDATE: MX6 3.5inch Adjustable shocks

The last thread on this RE8300 is around 2005. For those of you guys with ZJ and have RE83000 LA Kit. Please share your thoughts over the years. Please note that I chose to have a nice comfortable street ride and have flexibility offroad in the future. Which means if I ever want 35" tires I probably have an easier path. Right now it will be 33 inch. Will update you guys with build pics for latecomers like me.

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like you are making a good decision. One day, perhaps before the 33's are worn, you will start thinking of 35's and will already have the LA kit to go higher. I haven't ever run RE stuff, but everyone that does really likes the kits.

#3 · (Edited)
So, youre going to go with a RE LA kit with 3.5" of lift on 33"s? Why did you decide on that height?

If I could recommend something to you... It would be, go with the 4.5" in springs with 33"s and then had 1" spacers later down the road when you want 35"s. Then you just to have trim minimal amount for the 33"s and probably not at all for the 35"s.

Here's mine with 4.5" and 33"s:

#4 · (Edited)
So, youre going to go with a RE LA kit with 3.5" of lift on 33"s? Why did you decide on that height?

I decided that at the beginning I really wanted to be at 4 inch or less with Full Traction. Now that did not happen I got the 4.5" LA Rubicon setup but local jeep shop says that its possible to use 3.5" springs on this Kit. Springs are also cheap to upgrade..if I change my mine later. My vision on this ZJ is like having a low center of gravity but keep the ride decent in the pavement. my next step after this should I go to 35" is to do the Iceland berserk fender which has a decent stock look yet give more clearance without lifting..

#5 · (Edited)
ZJ Build here we go!

My Jeep is up in the air and the Rubicon kit is coming along with it. Here goes the build!!

More Pics for next shoot. Monday the LA arms will be installed
For larger pictures see
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2219366/3

#6 ·
Just a Thought. With the TeraFlex 3 inch I could clear 32's kinda with the short arm kit. But not flexed up. The Lift actually took me 4 inches over stock and nearly 100k later is still over 3.5 over stock. With the Icelander kit I clear 33's pretty easy and have enough room on flat ground to clear 35's. But with the swaybars disconnected I stuff 33's to the point that it would cause body damage to run anything bigger. And this is with a short arm kit. Add the extra flex of a long arm and 35's and 4.5 of lift you may not be able to find your tires again. they'll be so far up the wheel wells.

#7 ·
@ Utah, Do you have the fender flare from iceland? How was the installation? Anyway. I am starting at 33x9.5 on this setup up. Jeep Solutions has said twice that I'm good with 33x9.5. on 8x15 wheels. I'm going to find out really soon coz this build is going to wrap up this week or next week.

#8 ·
I cheated on the install. I had a shop down the street help me with it. I chickened out when it came to cutting up the back fenders. However the rest of it wasn't bad. I can't remember his name, but the Iceland Guy lives near me. Really nice and very helpful. He also has an apsolute passion for zj's and wj's.
I've not hit anything hard with them yet but I've also got his sliders. I really like them, Tought and don't loose any clearance.

#9 ·
His name is Emil, I just met him last Friday when I picked up WJ flares and a bumper. He was cool, I may end up getting some sliders from him soon.

#10 ·
I have had my RE 4.5 LA kit for just under a year now. With the 33x10.50's I barely trimmed the rear of the front bumper and had to take out the splash guards from all 4 wheel wells. Other than that no clearance issues even at full stuff. The kit has been solid with no troubles to report so far. I love the high speed ride and the articulation in slow stuff.

I have the Billstine 5100 shocks and can highly recommend them.

#11 ·
That's good to hear about the 4.5 and nearly no rub issues. Emil, well that's would explain why I can't ever remember his name. Great guy.
I remember that before I did Iceland's fender kit I had accutally got my 31's STUCK IN MY FENDER before. It could be that the long arm kit corrects some of the geomerty there or my up travel is some how messed up to where it goes up to far? Accutally thinking about it I have the factory bump stops so that is probably my issue.
Sorry, it's been alot of years since I installed the lift.

#12 ·
Here are a few more pics for the rear plates. The shop is slow but I don't want to rush either. No arms but rear plates installed now. Stock rear arms brackets still has to be removed.

#14 · (Edited)
Latest UPdate - GETTING THERE!

Close to the finish product. A few minor adjusment is needed for the stock muffler. The following is no longer needed SYE Slip Yoke Eliminator and Slip Driveshaft due to the height of the springs (3.5 INCHES), I still need a decal inside vehicle for the new transfer case NP242 woot!! Now that I have 2wd option on tap.
Procomp MX-6 4 INCH Adjustable shocks will be installed. I can later upgrade to 4.5inch springs if needed. Right now I won't because I'm still looking at the icelandic fender flares!

I have also ask to add an axle strap w/ D Rings to keep or maintain the axle from flexing to oblivion and dropping my springs.

With the 3.5" lift and 33x9.5x15 tires

This is the ZJ before the lift note the tires are stock 29".

#18 ·
He is talking about the bracket that goes out from the unibody frame towards the outside of the vehicle. In this pic, see the four bolts-they are bolting that bracket to the pinch seam. The pinch seam is the body line that sticks down with tack welds on it, on the bottom of your rocker panel. I like it too, I wonder how strong it is and if it could be used as a jack location with a high lift.

#15 · (Edited)
New custom Muffler. This is a generic muffler, Here is a bottom look at the new Muffler as it was modified to stop before the axles. I'm gonna need a 2nd opinion on this.. IF you guys have ZJ and have LONG ARMS, please feel free to comment if this is correct.
I don't like the look of it and looks half done.

oKAY, sO i found a fellow NAGCA member rttingds with a nice custom exhaust muffler setup. This is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks to rttingds for posting his awesome ZJ. i WILL definitely be talking to Jeep Solutions about this.

#17 · (Edited)
@GreenMachine, sorry for being naive, are you talking about my rig, which part are you referring to? Thanks

#19 ·
Thanks IRoc for clarifying , The rocker was the keyword there. Ya, It seems solid to me, but they advice that if I need to change tires to raise it from the axle provided I make it is stable. My articulation on this is crazy. Will post pics soon with New wheels and tires. I could not handle my pizza cutter tires@@

#20 ·
BYe bye pizza cutter - Procomp Rims & Tire

33" Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires and a 16x8 rims

#21 ·
looks great!
i was just being critical on the rocker tie-ins. they're vulnerable to damage wheeling, and you'll have to work around them if you put sliders on. but hey, the more attatchments to the unibody the better...
the lift is way better than mine though, congrats dude!
flex shot?

#22 ·
GORMAN 4x4 Training area

Thanks GreenMachine, So here are some new pics
So, Here I am in beginners area and I have a perfect shot of articulation but also a nice shot of gettting stuck on a perfect setup of loosing traction in the front right and left rear tires..Lockers Lockers Lockers...
My rear left tires in pictures is just hanging. Its not even on the ground. I went into this ditch in a perfect wrong angle to get stuck.

#23 ·
Hey rexxiboy90807. The Jeep looks awesome! I can't wait to put my RE long arm on my rig! If you do ever decide to go higher definitely stay away from spacers and get their 4.5" springs. The coils are pretty inexpensive and you would make a decent amount back by selling the 3.5" springs. If you need to go higher you can actually run their TJ front 7.5" springs and use their zj front 4.5 coils in the rear which will give you just over 6" of lift. You might have to cut the rear springs down a bit to keep things level.

#24 ·
Lock the rear and move up to 4.5"...

Looks awesome, but if you really wanna flex it out and get the articulation that the LA kit was meant for you need longer springs and shocks...

I was at 4.5 on the RE short arm lift and got that flex. YOu have a far superior setup, but being so low won't let you use it.

A locker makes a WORLD of difference also.

#25 ·
if those tires were rubbing at all, i think all you need is longer shocks. why not allow more droop?
one thing i did to help mine a little were bar pin eliminators. they basically lengthened the existing front shocks a bit. good shocks are expensive :(

#26 ·
Both front left and rear right where buried in the wheel well and was slight rubbing. The front right was pretty much digging the sand there. I was wishing I had more flex in the back, I don't know if a 4.5" spring would give that specially you are adding another 1 inch lift?

#29 · (Edited)
Green, I specifically instructed the shop to get me shocks capable of 4.5" springs when I later upgrade. It will be a big debacle if the shop failed to that. If I recall, I do not thing the rear right tires went all the way up to the well, it stopped just 1 inch above the fender which was noticeable because my tires had some slight scrape on them.
What you guys think.. upgrade springs? or add ACOS? the ACOS i starts at 1.25.

#28 ·
I just looked back and realized you have rear LA's too. Your rear end should have a lot more flex than that. You definitely should get longer shocks.

The way I have always been told to measure for shocks is to remove them, then use a lift to cycle the suspension and take measurements to see how the compressed/extended lengths are.

You have a GREAT suspension setup, take advantage of it.

#31 ·
sorry to get hung up on your shocks, didnt know it was maybe your fenders preventing flex?
just trying to help with what you have been sayin. thought you had selected 3.5 springs cuz you wanted low, but whatever makes sense to you now...
fwiw, i do think you could tweek it with your current springs and get way more flex than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.